Chapter 83

I walked out of the bedroom with a note in my hand, walking towards the patio where my mother was sitting.

Stella: MUUUUM! I don’t understand a single word of these! What the hell is “nell'armadio”?

My mother laughed as she looked up at me from under her sunhat.

Mum: Let me see?

I gave her the note and she read it whilst nodding.

Mum: Caro Stella, io sono onorato di avere la vostra e la presenza di tua madre. La casa è stata un po 'tranquillo in quanto la mia bella Amelia lasciato a lavorare a Cagliari. Io amo tua madre e spero di avere la possibilità di amarti troppo. Ti ho comprato dei vestiti nuovi che spero potrete godere, li trovate nell'armadio. Molto amore – Benito

I looked at her and just shook my head.

Stella: okay..

Mum: It says that he’s pleased to have us here and that he bought you new clothes and you with find them in the closet. nell'armadio means closet.

Stella: Why did he buy me clothes?

Mum: Because he wanted to!

Benito was the guy we were staying with here in Italy. My mum has been going out with him for quite some time since she’s living with him on his vineyard a couple of miles away from Verona.

Stella: I’m so sick of people buying me things; I can buy my own clothes!

I stormed off, back into the room that Benito had lent me whilst I was there. I soon heard my mum coming after me and she opened the door to my bedroom and looked at me.

Mum: Are you okay, love?

Stella: No mum, I’m not okay. Why does he have to buy me things?

Mum: He used to spoil his daughter, Amelia, but now that she’s not here and you are, he wants to spoil you.

Stella: I don’t want to get spoiled! Can’t he go spoil some of his freaking workers or something?!

My mum took a deep breath and lead me over to the bed and we both sat down.

Mum: I get the feeling that you’re a bit upset.

Stella: I’m not upset, I’m mad.

Mum: Are you mad at me or Benito?

Stella: Yes!

Mum: Are you really?

Stella: No…

She smiled and took my hand.

Mum: have you talked to Niall since you got here?

Stella: No mum, I left because we didn’t have more to say to each other.

Mum: Seems to me that you have some things you haven’t said.

Stella: I just… I thought I loved him and then he told me to leave and I left, just like that. What does that say about me?

Mum: it doesn’t say anything about you. You left after an argument, that’s normal.

Stella: I wish I hadn’t though.

Mum: Why?

Stella: Because if I haven’t left, if I haven’t gone to Eddie and stayed up all night, talking to him, I wouldn’t be here right now. I would be in our new flat, with Niall. And that’s where I want to be, no offence.

Mum: None taken. Why don’t you just go back to England then?

Stella: It’s not that easy, mum.