Conquer, Not Admire | Chpt 12

HEWWO.

OWO

eNjOy~

Lance's POV

I stepped into the party, noticing all the teachers that were there. We all knew that they either didn't care or left halfway through, so the party was beginning to pick up, especially outside in the courtyard where someone had put a speaker. I stepped in and an arm was slung around my shoulder, shoving a drink in my hand. Despite what many people may think, I don't tend to drink considering I was so young. Plus it never really appealed to me.

"Such a shame you lost to the tiny bitch," Lotor slurred. Of course he was drunk. He'd do anything to spite his parents and everyone around him.

"She's not that tiny," I commented.

"Yeah, but I was right about the bitch part," he laughed and I cringed at the smell of alcohol on his breath, bitter but warm.

"Yeah sure," I said, supporting him as he stumbled. Sometimes I question exactly why I'm in the same house as him.

"Nice job on the field though, I'll catch you later," he mumbled and stumbled off somewhere else in the party. Can't the teachers at least care somewhat? This is ridiculous. Maybe Professor Coran could do something, he was always nice. I glanced around and spotted a familiar mullet, growling. Why was he here? Oh, I know, because of (y/n). He'd never come to party just for the fun of it, and he was always trailing behind her like a dog. It drove me crazy how he could get to her so much faster and easier than I could.

As much as I hate her, I want her around me.

Make it easy for me to crush her. That's all.

She was my challenge for this year, and I wasn't about to let Keith near her. At least not until after I've been with her. It was weird, I had this urge to crush her, but also protect her at the same time. I approached Keith, his face hidden with that ridiculous hair, his boot against the wall as he leaned on it.

"What brings you out of hiding Mullet?"

"I'm just here to congratulate (y/n), buzz off," he muttered and I felt instantly angry.

"Why don't yo--"

"Hey," I turned and (y/n) was stood, smiling, people who passed patting her back. "Everything good over here?"

"Fine and dandy," I replied. She raised an eyebrow at me, but let it be.

"Hey, nice job today," Keith said.

"Thanks! I'm glad you came to watch!" she said. Keith glanced at me and his hair flopped in his face.

"I'm going to find Shiro, I'll catch up with you later," he said, brushing past me into the crowd. (y/n) seemed disappointed to see him go, taking his place against the wall. She stared at the moving shoes of the crowd that was next to us.

"So, like, are you ever going to tell me why you 'let me win'?" she asked, adding finger quotations. I admit, I had been doing quite a good job at getting closer. She still hated me and the feeling was mutual, but she was willing to talk to me if I was around. I would take it for now. I thought back to earlier when I had spotted her on the field. Instead of feeling the need to beat her at Quidditch, I just wanted to sit with her like we had done, talking about our families. It scared me, so much it scared me out of my normal mindset for the game.

My first thought was supposed to be conquer, not admire. I glanced at her questioning expression. Conquer, not admire. I shook it out of my system.

"None of your business," I warned and she frowned.

"So the answer is no," she sighed, crossing her arms. I glanced out at the party and spotted Nyma, my breath catching in my chest. I whipped back around. It wasn't too long ago I had begun to ignore Nyma, though she really didn't seem to notice that. (y/n) noticed the panic in my face and glanced behind me, noticing who I was looking at. She gave me a know-it-all look to which I sighed. "Here."