Headmaster | Chpt 19

Hey.

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

The next few days had been quiet, and I had only really talked to Pidge and Allura. Keith was starting act nervous around me again, most likely since I had snapped and him and Lance in Potions. I thought he might tell me what they were arguing about, but it was like he was tiptoeing through glass around me all the time. I hadn't seen Shiro or Matt much, but I heard they had a big test coming up in a class so I didn't pay any attention to that. Lance refused to speak to me as a whole.

Nonetheless, it was Friday so that was good and it seems the Yule ball was closer than I thought. It would be in exactly a month which seemed far, but considering people took this thing pretty seriously, it was close. Of course Charms was quiet as were most of my classes until I got to Potions which seemed to be the craziest class nowadays.

Keith and Lance were glaring. Pidge was reading out the instructions as I poured absentmindedly. This was the norm in class as of right now.

"(Y/n)?" I glanced up at the mention of my name and Professor Coran motioned me up to the front. I handed the bottle to Keith who assumed my spot. "(Y/n), headmaster Honerva wishes to see you." I nodded, heading back to my desk to grab my books.

"Where are you going?" Pidge asked.

"Headmaster? I don't know why," I said, and left without further investigation. I walked the long stretch of hall to the headmaster's office. Honerva was a nice woman, I surely wasn't in trouble right? I haven't done anything. I headed inside, looking around at the neat stacks of books and knick knacks all over the room.

"Miss (l/n)?" I glanced up and headmaster Honerva had peeked her head out from a stack of books. "I'm guessing you're wondering why I called you here, and I'm afraid you won't like what I'm about to say."

What?

"I received a call earlier from your father and it seems your mother has been admitted into the hospital," she said and all the feeling in my body sank to my feet.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, you've been admitted to leave and miss all work in the time of absence. Family is very important, take all the time you need," she said. "If you'd like you may take a friend."

Pidge.

But I didn't want to drag her along.

"Thank you."

"You may return to your dorm, stay here, or go back to class, whichever you prefer," she said and I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat. On one hand, I didn't want to be alone, but on the other, I didn't know if I could contain myself.

"Thank you," I murmured and exited the office, wiping at my eyes which had gone blurry. I headed back to class, I really didn't want to be by myself. My hand shakily opened the door again and Professor Coran gave me a sympathetic look. He must know. I shuffled back to my seat, and sat down, watching the floor.

"Get in trouble?" Pidge joked and I could help but smile slightly. I looked over at her, and she frowned once she saw my face. "What's up?"

I leaned over and whispered it to her, mostly because I didn't want anyone else but her to know. Her hand lightly held my arm, and I had gained the unwanted attention of Keith and Lance. Pidge got the hint that I didn't want anyone to know and she just held my hand under the table.

"Okay," she said, rubbing her thumb over the back of my hand.

"What?" I glanced over at Lance, one of the few times he talked to me in the past few days and he seemed to back off when he saw my face. Keith didn't ask.

I returned to the dorm after that class, Pidge with me. I had told her all Honerva had told me, letting out tears I had held in until now.

"I'll go with you," she said.

"But--"

"No buts, I want to be there," she said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"I don't want to have people question where I am," I said.

"If they do I'll beat the shit out of them," she said and I sniffled. "I'm so sorry about your mom, you don't deserve this."

"It's okay, things like this happen," I murmured and she hugged me. We spent the rest of the afternoon packing up clothes and things we'd need while we were there.

"What a shitty Friday," Pidge muttered.

"Pidge what if she dies?" I asked and she paused to look at me.

"Why are you think like that?"

"I don't know," I paused, my eyes watering again. "But what if she does."

"I don't know," Pidge said and I sat on my bed.

"I bet my dad wouldn't even care," I said and she walked over to sit beside me.

"Yes he would, you know that," she said and let me rest my head on her shoulder.

"Would he? All he cares about is work, not me, not my mom. I'm surprised he even called," I said, my throat tight.

"He cares about you, he's just a little busy, and you should tell him that," she said and I just glared at my feet.

"Why is this happening?"

"I don't know, and I wish it wasn't," she said and we sat there for a while, my eyes wetting her shoulder.

"You're a good friend."

"So are you. We both know if this happened you be at my doorstep with me," she said.

"Thank you."

"No problem."

~Calymari