Secret | Chpt 42

Hello

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

2 days until the tournament.

Then there will be a few days of school before winter vacation.

I scribbled a few words in my notebook. Pidge had offered to do my homework for me, seeing as all I had was a potions write up, but I had refused. I placed my chin in my hand.

What went wrong with your experiment?

I paused, scribbling something down and moving into the next question. I shut my notebook, curling my toes so they cracked. I tossed my stuff on my bed, walking down the spiral staircase. Girls and boys looked at me as I descended, my face hot with exhaustion and nervous energy.

"(Y/n)!" Allura called, hopping up from her spot, throwing her book to the side. "I'm supposed to relay a message."

"Uhh, okay?"

"Keith wants you to meet him at the fountain at 11:30," she said and I raised an eyebrow.

"That's late and last curfew, why 11:30?" She shrugged.

"I'm only the messenger," she replied. I glanced at the clock, seeing it was already 11. How did the time pass me by? I nodded, heading out. I made my way across the school in secret, arriving by 11:15. I sat beside the fountain's edge.

I let out a yawn, realizing I'd have to return to school in the morning tired. Whatever. I dragged a hand in the surface of the water, yawning again.

"Oh thank God you came," he called. I smiled in his direction, watching as Keith came forward to me.

"Of course, who do you take me for?" I asked.

"I just thought you might be mad, because of the whole secret thing," he replied. I nodded, pressing my lips into a line.

"That's alright. I know you'll tell me when you're ready to share," I replied and he sat down beside me.

"Yeah, I just..." he glanced away for a second. "It's something I feel like you deserve to know about me, because you're my best friend and the friend who I've had for the longest. I just can't stop thinking about it."

"You don't have to tell me," I replied, "if you don't want to."

"It's something that no one knows and I just hate keeping it to myself all the time. Just...promise you won't freak out and ditch me."

"Of course, I promise. I would never," I replied.

"Can you just like—close your eyes?" He asked and I wrung my clammy hands.

"You're scaring me a little now, I feel like you're going to mug me or something," I said and he let out a soft breath. I complied, shutting my eyes. I heard a soft shift and a long pant, almost like...a dog? "Keith?" I peeked out one eye, seeing that Keith was huddled away from me. "Keith?"

I reached out a hand to place on his shoulder when he turned around quickly, making my draw back my arm. I stared at bright yellow eyes shaded by his long bangs. He looked angry, purple coloring crawling up into his face behind his pale skin.

"Please don't tell me you're scared," he said through sharpened teeth, motioning to my distanced position.

"This was your secret?" I asked.

"My mom, she was Galra, and I've been discovering it since I was young," he said, flinching. 2 faint lines faded into his cheeks, a deep looking purple. "I just didn't want to scare you away."

"Why would this scare me?"

"Being half galra, half human really didn't go well when I was young," he said.

"I'm honestly scarier in the mornings, so don't worry about it Keith. I don't care what origins you are because you're my best friend," I replied. He paused, nodding. "You know what this means?"

"A hug?" Keith asked, his lids flickering over brightened yellow eyeballs.

"Yes, whether you like it or not!" I replied, pulling him forward. "You don't need to keep anything from me, just so you know." I felt him shift, savoring in the hug.

"Thank you." He pulled back and his eyes were back to normal.

"So how can you do that?"

"Anger."

"Like the Hulk?!"

"Wow thanks for ruining that for me," he replied and I nodded.

"Were you angry earlier?"

"I was pretty anxious, I guess that works too," he replied. I smiled.

"Uh Keith?"

"Yeah?"

"You know you still have a line there right?" I asked, lightly tapping his cheek.

"I'm sure it will go away soon, it's a weird process," he replied.

"You're kind of like a werewolf," I said and he groaned, rolling his eyes.

"Absolutely not, let's just go," he replied.

"Team Jacob?"

"Shut it."

~~~~~~~~~~

I set down my bag, yawning. Lance was already in his chair, glancing the opposite way. For the past 2 weeks or so, he had been cautious and weary of me. Avoiding my eye contact and keeping from conversation. Ever since he refused to help.

I sat down, opening my notebook and scribbling the date at the top corner. I waited for professor Bii Boh Bi came to teach. I glanced to my side at Lance who was staring down at his phone. From what I could see, he was texting Nyma.

I turned away, listening to the soft chatter of classmates and Lance's breaths. I chewed at my lip for most of the lesson, leaving Lance alone.

I had more things to worry about.

But I didn't notice the wet cheeks of the boy next to me.

~Calymari