Abuela | Chpt 70

Hello

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

I eyed Lance at the dinner table in his childhood home. For a guy who was usually homesick when he had to spend lonely, stuffy weekends in the dorms, he seemed so unhappy being home. His family cheerfully ate and passed food around, sharing compliments towards the chef Rosa. She eyed me and then my gaze at her son before silencing the table.

"Alright, alright, that's enough chatter. Let's all eat now," she said and people began eating. I watched Luis steal pieces of potato from Marco's plate when he wasn't looking, earning a bored and judgmental look from Veronica. Rachel was the neatest eater I had ever seen, each part of her plate separate and looking advertisement worthy as she ate quietly and cleanly. I glanced to Lance to see he wasn't eating very fast or at all like he usually did. I frowned, taking his hand underneath the table softly.

He glanced at me and I didn't make a huge deal out of noticing his mood, eating my own food and keeping my gaze trained away from him. He looked down to his food before he began eating like normal.

After dinner Rosa asked me for a hand in the kitchen. I stood by the dish rack, drying plates for her while her kids fixed up the table. She smiled gently, letting out a sigh.

"Don't you worry too much about Lance honey," she said. "He tends to get a little down around this time of year."

"Like seasonal?" I asked.

"Oh no, no," she said, placing a soapy dish into the empty sink to be rinsed. "He doesn't really like when I tell people this, but his abuela passed away a few years ago around this time."

"Oh..." I replied.

"I know you must know what that feels like with your mother, my condolences," she replied. I nodded.

"I actually took him to the beach a little ways from here where I took my mom the night before she died," I replied. "Let him 'meet' her." I made soft air quotations and smiled slightly thinking how he had ridiculously talked to my mom just a few days ago.

"How sweet," she replied. "He's a strong boy, don't you worry about it."

I nodded, drying a freshly rinsed plate. I set it to the side and she shooed me from the kitchen, insisting that she finish herself. I made my way up the stairs to Lance's room where he would most likely be. I knocked before entering to see him sprawled out on his single bed. I stepped around a pile of books and a broomstick, careful not to knock over a bin full of dirty laundry. I sat down on his bed and he lifted his arm away from his eyes to look at me. He half smiled before placing it back over his eyes, his face going still.

"Hey." He said it solemnly and with a long pause after, no hint that he would make any further conversation. I kissed his forehead lightly. "My mom told you didn't she?"

"That she did," I replied, running a hand through his hair.

"It's nothing."

"I understand," I replied, running my fingernails lightly down the material of his shirt, placing my hand flat against his stomach. "Well, it's like my mom isn't it? Why don't you just talk to me about it?"

"What about her?"

"I don't know, something you liked about her," I replied, patting his stomach lightly. He sighed and sat up.

"Uh, she used to let me cook with her," he said.

"See!" I said. "So you liked to cook with her, what else?"

"Uh I didn't say I liked it that much."

"Oh..."

"She used to scream at me when I did it wrong," he said, frowning. "That's why I don't know how to cook...anything. I remember this one time she pinched my ear so hard for adding the wrong spice to her dish, I cried."

"...oh."

"And once I asked to make brownies and I thought we could just make them from the box, but she made me spend like 2 hours in the kitchen making them from scratch. I don't like brownies that much."

"So...you see her negatively."

"No...I don't. I mean, I love my grandma she could just be a little pushy. Hurt my feelings sometimes," he glanced at me. "No offense, but she wouldn't have liked you."

"What? Why?"

"She wouldn't like someone who can keep up to her like you could. You're too much competition for her," he said. I smiled slightly in content before he nudged me slightly. "Don't be too proud of yourself."

"Alright alright," I said. "Seems like she was an opinionated lady."

"Oh yeah, definitely. It's kind of the reason I'm opinionated too," he said, sheepishly. It was almost like he was embarrassed to be so.

"That sounds great! I love passionate people," I said. "Opinionated people can be the best."

"Yeah..." he replied, flopping back into the bed. It seemed he remembered her and missed her because she served as a inspiration point for him to go off of. It didn't seem like she was a lady to be messed with.

"You think your abuela and my mom met after they died?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"I think I could talk to her, take her on," I said. He glanced up at me skeptically. "Hola, Lance's abuela."

"What are you doing?"

"Talking to her, what else?" I asked and he scoffed.

"Come on, lets just go downstairs. I appreciate the effort."

"But we were just going to talk about your baby pictures."

"Oh you were?"

"Oh yeah," I replied. "She says you were a chubby baby."

"Hey! I can't help that!" I giggled and he shoved me from his room, smiling slightly.

~Calymari