Hug | Chpt 32

Hey!

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

My foot tapped nervously, waiting for lessons to start. I had stayed outside the Gryffindor common room all afternoon yesterday and this morning. Shiro wasn't answering and neither was Matt, and Keith had completely disappeared. I had no idea where he had gone. I had just had the discussion with James this morning before class, and he seemed disappointed. I knew it wasn't the last of him I would see, but it would be enough for now.

"I may forgive you, but we just can't hang out, I'm sorry," I said, leaning against the wall with my books. My hair was a mess, on account for hardly sleeping so I had the best chance of running into Keith.

"I get it, but I still like you."

"I don't know what to tell you."

"So you don't like me back at least?" He asked, I paused, digging the toe of my shoe into the groove of the floor.

"I don't know, but please, just stay away," I said.

"You're a loyal friend I respect that, but that doesn't change my feelings about you. I'll stay away," he said, straightening up his back, nodding to me before walking away.

I hugged my books to my chest and headed to potions.

I reached up, realizing my hair still looked like shit and sighed. My karma I guess. Lance walked in the room, Nyma on his arm. She looked over and smiled at me. I just gave a pained wave, turning away.

So I had to avoid James for Keith's sake, and Lance for Nyma's sake and really my own sake as well.

She kissed him goodbye and he bounded over to his seat, plopping down beside me.

"Good morning!"

"Yeah the best." He glanced over, looking from my hair to my tired, sad eyes.

"What happened to you?"

"Nothing."

"I see. Need help with that?" He asked.

"No." He purses his lips and I slumped over on my desk, my head in my arms. It was quiet for a second before I felt his fingers in my hair. I sat up, jerking away.

"What are you doing?"

"Braiding your hair, it looks like shit. No offense," he said, shrugging. I sighed and sat in my chair, swiveling so that he could braid it.

"You know how to braid?"

"Sisters. Marco and Luis aren't going to do it," he said. I nodded, and handed him an elastic. He had done a nice French braid down the center of my head. (Uhm, if you have short hair ignore ig?)

"Thanks."

"You're welcome, now care to tell me what's up."

"Nope."

"Why not?" He asked. I gave him a look before turning back. How was I supposed to avoid him with his right there. "Was it James? I saw you talking to him this morning."

"No," I said, folding my hands on the desk to stare at them. He paused, staring at me.

"It was huh?"

"No."

"What happened?"

"Would you just leave me alone?!" I snapped to look at him and he seemed taken aback but still concerned. I sighed. "He just apologized for being a jerk and Keith flipped about me accepting the apology and James supposedly likes me and Keith still won't talk to me. There. You happy?"

I put my head down on the desk.

"I'm sorry I asked," he said, quietly, turning to face the front.

"Look, I didn't mean to seem so mean, it's just I really shouldn't tell you these things."

"Why?" His voice hushed now.

"Because we really shouldn't hang out anymore okay?" He glanced over at me. "It's just for the better."

"The better of what?" He asked, a hurt look painted across his face.

The bell rang and I turned away, ignoring his question, sat beside Lance's sad expression with one of my own. I wasn't about to out Nyma like that. Class was long, and when the bell rang Lance got up and left without me. We hadn't left together in a few days anyways and he was respecting my wishes. I got my stuff, passing through the halls.

This was better right? Now I can get the break and get over my fading crush, ease up on the amount of people I had to avoid because Lance would be avoiding me. We'd have respective friend groups and it wasn't so murky anymore. I just had to make it to potions.

When I walked in the class, Keith was sat with his head facing his lap, straining his neck to keep his head hung down.

"Keith!" He glanced up at me though his hair, a hurt expression on his face. "Look, I'm sorry, James was an asshole and I may have accepted his apology, but that didn't mean I was going to ever replace you with him or force you guys to be friends, because you're my best friend, and that would make me a total asshole. I just really struggle with people disliking me, and I even told him this morning that we couldn't be friends or hang out because I don't want you to be mad at me anymore. So I'm sorry, so so sorry, Keith."

He glanced around the classroom at some kids that had been staring, but honestly I didn't really care. He arms, which has been crossed protectively across his chest, loosened, and he flipped back his hair so that I could see his eyes.

"I should apologize, you should be able to at least forgive him without me freaking out in mind, but I really appreciate what you did and said, thank you, and you are forgiven."

"You as well." I stood there for a second, across from him as he stood up. I glanced over, knowing Keith really wasn't one for that much physical contact, restraining from hugging him. It of course didn't work and I tackled him in a hug, catching him off guard. He relaxed slightly, hugging me back.

We both sat down and it wasn't awkward anymore, joking around for a few minutes. Lance walked into the room, books in hand, and I realized I hadn't told Keith. He sat down, his lips in a thin line. He gave both of us a nod, and just pulled out his book and notebook.

I glanced down at my own work as professor Coran began class. Keith noticed the exchange, but didn't question it, knowing I would tell him later. Class went okay, missing Pidge who had transferred back into the newly built lab. I waved goodbye to Keith heading to my next class.

"(Y/n)!" I glanced around, my stomach churning while Lance caught up to me, pulling me aside. "I just wanted to--" he glanced to the floor. He pulled me into an unexpected hug, placing his face in my shoulder. My breath hitched and I felt my heart burn, my books dropping from my hands. My arms curled slowly around him, placing my mouth and nose against the collar of the shirt peeking out from his robe.

"Lance wh--"

"Bye (y/n)." I pulled up my head, his hands resting warmly on my back, hiding his face from me.

He let go, his hands resting on my sides for a moment. He hesitated in doing something, most likely leaving. My stomach had sunk to my feet as he looked at me, holding the side of my robe. He let go, turning away, walking away from the secluded area he had pulled me into.

"Lance?" He glanced back, his hand on the wall.

"Yeah?"

"Goodbye. Maybe I'll see you later," I said quietly. He straightened his face, too keep from expression surfacing.

"Maybe."

He ducked behind the wall and I let out a breath, hugging my robe to myself to maybe somehow simulate the feeling of that hug again.

Nothing.

I stepped out, glancing around with my hand curled back around my books. I caught the back of Lance's head bobbing around the crowds in the hall and I sighed, taking the opposite route to avoid him as much as I could before class.

Maybe.

~Calymari