Let Go | Chpt 20

Hey.

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

I shut my mother's door quietly, swallowing all the words I hadn't gotten out yet. My father was at the end of the hall, his expression weary. I know it wasn't true, but I couldn't help but think he just wanted her to die already so this wouldn't drag on so long.

I couldn't look at him much anymore.

Pidge was in my room while I was talking to my mom, and my dad had been pacing. I know my mother could hear it and hated that sound. I just wanted her to be as happy as possible. The hospital had moved her back home to lie, dying, in her bed. I could tell she wanted to leave, and I was planning on somehow getting her out of here, just for a while. I walked past my father, glancing at his shoe which was tapping on the hard wood.

"Could you not, she can hear you when you do that," I murmured and his feet ceased. I shut the door to my room collapsing into my chair. Pidge glanced up and gave me a sympathetic look.

"(Y--"

"I'm taking my mom to the beach."

"What?"

"I'm taking her to the beach, she always loved the ocean. Made me question how we were related."

"(Y/n) she can't leave," Pidge said. I locked eyes with Pidge for a moment.

"I'm taking her. We both know that." We shared a look. There was a possibility her condition would worsen, but that was all that had happened in the past 8 days I've been here. "She wants to go, I can tell."

"I'll help you get her past your Dad," Pidge agreed and I smiled, and nodded. I teared up slightly, and Pidge walked over to hug my head into her chest.

Later that evening, my father had fallen asleep, his head on the kitchen table. I entered my mother's room and she wasn't asleep. She was staring out the window, listening to the crickets and watching the stars.

"Mom?"

"(Y/n)? Why aren't you asleep?" She questioned and I approached.

"I want to take you to the beach," I said. She paused and glanced out the window and then at me.

"I'd love that," she said, sitting up with great difficulty. I felt my nose burn as I helped my mom up, gripping her hand.

"You know you can't tell Dad right?"

"Oh there's a lot of things that ol' stickler doesn't know, one more can't hurt him," she said.

But it will hurt you.

Pidge helped us to the car and my mother didn't seem to say anything about me climbing in the driver's seat. The drive was silent and peaceful, a tad bumpy seeing as I had never driven before.

We arrived at the beach, and instantly I could see my mother at peace. I didn't need to help her and she headed down the sand with me, both of us to the ocean. She almost immediately splashed me with cold ocean water and I laughed for the first time in a while.

We spent time together, talking about all the fun stuff we had done and seen. Road trips, school years, everything.

"I can't believe it," she said. We held hands and walked along the shallow water wading in and out around our feet. The smell and sound of the ocean was all there was beside us.

"I know," I said.

"So this Lance boy."

"Mom." I felt a slight spin in my stomach at the mention of him, someone who was Slytherin. I knew my mother didn't like them and all, so I had kept it quiet.