The Blue | Chpt 78

Hello

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

I made my way past Safie and Lance who had been clinging to each other while they slept comfortably on the couch. Her cold, damp hair was laying against his neck and as I stared at them while I passed that morning, I felt my face grow hot and itchy. I wiped away at it as the painful squeeze in my chest branched out into my stomach, making me sick. I walked out to the deck to stare at the light clouded morning. I hugged one knee into my chest, staring at the ocean ripple. The breeze was strong enough to spray me lightly with the scent of the ocean and the wood of the deck was damp with salty sea water. I shivered at the cool feeling, letting my hair rustle with the wind. The salty mist made the waves from my braids soften and I found myself wiping at my face again.

There was in uncomfortable silence in my ears, almost but not quite drowned out bu the ocean. I stood, my feet carrying me down to the beach. My toes sank into the sand and I made my way, steady, to the edge of the water. My footprints stalked behind me until I stopped in the wet sand. The water washed over my feet, washing the tops clean of clumps of sand. It was cold around my ankles as the sun wasn't out enough to warm the surface of the water the best it could. I brushed hair from my face, watching the ocean closer now.

Maybe I should just go home.

I wadded further in, the wind whipping the bottom of my top open so that cold ocean air and mist tickled across my stomach. Goosebumps rose over my stomach, rippling with the waves across my arms and legs, halted at water on my ankles. A sickly green kind of feeling crept up my neck and the fresh air fought to choke the feeling down. My body was cold but my face and my throat were hot and uncomfortable and tight and I couldn't--

I couldn't feel my toes anymore.

I picked myself back up, wading further into the clear, crystal blue so that it was up to my mid calve. I crouched, letting my knees sink into the loose sand at the bottom of the shallows. A soft plant, rooted in the sand brushed across my knee and goosebumps rippled out again as a stone in still water would. I knelt there for the longest time, only moving to shift the hair from my eyes as I looked out at the still horizon. It hardly moved and yet water sloshed around my legs and wet the bottom of my shorts.

If I screamed, I think the ocean would swallow it.

I felt almost tempted to sink back into the water and sink to the bottom so the water could hold my body. I shut my eyes for only just a moment, leaning back. I should just let the blue swallow me up and choke me down. I stood up suddenly, the cool air brushing my wet legs. I just padded back to the shore line, up the stairs and back to my chair. My face was still hot and I wished I let the ocean cool it off. My teeth chattered and I was cold. My eyes shut and I was tired. My mouth was dry and I felt like I was going to throw up. My hands shook and I was nervous.

My eyes were dry but I wanted to cry.

I wanted to let the water that clogged up my ears and my eyes and my nose and my throat and made my face tight and itchy out. I curled up into myself, letting my hot breath dry the water droplets cooling on the skin of my legs. I stayed there for a while. Holding myself that I wish I had just left to the blue. I should've just let it hold me.

I stood, making my way inside into the cold of the air conditioning and I couldn't keep from my entire body chattering and shaking. I made my way back past Lance and Safie who were holding each other like what I could only imagines lovers do. I walked heavy up the stairs and back to my bed, sinking down so that the pillow flattened my waves. The room was a cool green and wooden, not blue.

I wish it was blue.

"(y/n)?"

"Yeah?"

"You're awake?"

"I am."

"Want some breakfast?"

"No, that's alright. I'll just stay here."

Veronica stood and left. I laid there, staring at the ceiling.

"Is there breakfast?"

"Yeah."

Rachel stood and left. I laid there, staring at the ceiling.

I felt sick.

I stood and left.

I decided not to eat, holding my arms around my stomach. Rosa offered me something to settle my stomach like tea or water. I shook my head, but she placed it in front of me anyways. It went untouched. There was talk of walking around town so that perhaps Lance and I could hand out alone. I wasn't so sure I even wanted that. Rosa had her doubts about leaving us alone, especially with her youngest son being the way he was. We of course wouldn't do anything, I'd be sure of that and Rosa trusted me enough that way. So it was decided that we could be alone.

"Where is Lance anyways?" Veronica asked.

I thought of the image of him settled comfortably on the couch with a smile. There was another squeeze in my chest, but I didn't say anything about it. Then they would know why I was sick and it would all go bad. Veronica left to look for him and I just sat. I picked up the mug of now lukewarm tea to take a sip so that perhaps Rosa would feel some sort of ease. I could feel her looking at me pathetically. When I set the mug down I felt her hand pat down the side of my head, my temple resting gently on her stomach. That spread warmth though my torso as it reminded me so much of my mother.

"He's, uh, asleep on the couch," Veronica said, her eyes darting to me. She had a feeling I already knew.

"Luis and Marco are down at the courts playing basketball, where's Safie?" Rachel asked innocently.

"Asleep on the couch."

She was asleep on Lance, but Veronica would never say that out loud. At least when I was around. Rosa's hand brushed down my hair again and I felt the sickness subside. Veronica leaned to Rachel and murmured, Rachel leaving soon after. It was pretty obvious. When Rachel returned she stared at me much more direct than Veronica. She had a feeling I already knew.

In this sort of situation none of us knew what to do.

Rosa let me go and I clung to the cup of tea to keep the warm feeling with me. Rachel murmured to Rosa and she left, each one like dominoes. When Rosa returned she took my head against my stomach again, brushing my hair more frequently than before. Lance and Safie were just friends, that was what they said, but everyone in the room knew how it must've seemed like to me. Veronica left again to finally wake them and I leaned softly against Rosa.

"Would you like some food dear? Maybe just some fruit?"

"Yes please," I replied. She put a platter of fruit in front of me and I nibbled on a piece of mango as Lance, ridden with bedhead sat down at the table next to me. He took a piece of fruit from me before popping it in his mouth. His lips met my cheek lightly, sticky with fruit juice already. He was a messy eater. He glanced around the room at his sisters and mother.

"What?"

"Nothing dear," Rosa said, a hint of disappointment in her voice. I placed my head against Lance's shoulder. He glanced down at me, at my pale face, his eyebrows dipping.

"Are you alright?"

"She's a little under the weather," Rosa said.

"Oh no, I'm sorry," he said, his fingers brushing down my bare arm so that the friction might warm me up. I didn't respond, just nodding and letting the blue swallow me up. I nestled myself into him without the embarrassment of his family being there. I just tried to let the blue, let him swallow me up. Choke me down.

"Good morning! Ooo mango," Safie's arm darted around me to take some from my plate and Lance stared as she did, his arm tugging me in and away from her grip. Almost protective. I could sense the guilt he felt when she walked in. I pulled away from Lance as Safie sat down, taking food from my plate and eating it myself.

I should've just let the blue swallow me up.

~Calymari