Laugh | Chpt 35

Hello!

I got a little philosophical last chapter. Hah.

Enjoy~

(y/n)'s POV

"It was strange, to say the least, but you were there, there was a field, and then an ocean, and I almost drowned." Lance watched me, confused.

"Perhaps it's your fear of drowning?"

But I can swim and I love the ocean. Drowning metaphorically perhaps.

"Yeah, maybe."

"Why was I there?"

"I'm not sure, you just said a lot of things to me I can't remember," I said, shaking my head.

"Maybe it all the things I've been trying to keep from saying to you lately. I felt like I was going to explode," he said, scratching his neck with an awkward breath. He brought his knees up to his chest, sitting against the wall in the empty hallway with me.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what came over me."

"No I get it, you just don't want Nyma to feel threatened, but she honestly shouldn't and if she does then she should talk to me, not you," he said. I thought back to what Nyma had said: her realization that I appeared to be a better pairing for Lance than she could ever be. It had really set me off in the moment, question exactly why I was the bigger person, letting Lance go. She was the one who saw him better with me, so why hadn't she let him go too? It wasn't fair, at all, but realizing that I hadn't ever dated Lance, it was like I was inviting myself into his life. She had her rightful place first, and rather than being the bigger person, I was just being a good one.

"It's quite alright Lance, I understand where she's coming from, it honestly just means she liked you a lot," I said, placing a soft hand on his knee. He looked that direction, a soft expression on his face. "You're really not someone people want to lose."

"What?" He glanced up, soft icy irises searching through mine.

"Well, you're the type of person that wiggles their way into someone's heart and just stays there, you know?" I explained, taking my hand back and he smiled into his own chest. His eyes dipped before glancing over his arm, which was freshly draped over his knee.

"I guess. Is that why we're friends now? If I recall, we weren't best friends. Did I wiggle my way into your supposed stone cold exterior?" He asked, nudging me with the side of his body and I felt my stomach squeeze tightly in my abdomen.

"Yeah," I murmured, flattening my legs against the floor.

"I'm just that charismatic," he boasted and I smiled slightly. He paused. "You hardly laugh anymore."

"What?"

"Usually I can manage to make you laugh, like the one without noise and tears in your eyes," he smiled slightly.

"I haven't laughed like that in a little while," I said, placing my head against the wall.

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. I haven't had reason to I guess," I sighed, and I could feel Lance's eyes roam around my face and jaw. He cleared his throat, glancing down at me wringing my hands, following the motion with his own.

"So, is your dad coming for visiting day?" Lance asked and I shook my head no. "Why?"

"Busy with work, but we talk a lot more now, so it's okay. Besides, I kind of don't want to have a visitation day without my mom," I said, glancing over while a lump began to form in my throat.

"Yeah."

"What about your family?"

"Most likely my mom and dad and the rest of my siblings," he said. "My abuela doesn't really like to travel."

"Which one helped fix my necklace?"

"That was Rachel, Veronica goes here," Lance said.

"I've never seen her," I said.

"She's a year 7 and those who attended this school have already graduation, like my brother Marco."

"What about the others?"

"Rachel isn't interested in magic, but she has a license. Luis didn't get any powers, but he hates magic anyways. He's always just been invested on being a surfer and working on the beach," Lance explained. I nodded, folding my hands still. "I'm sure my mom wants to meet you."

"Why?"

"I told her about you."

"When?" I asked, my face warm.

"During our first year, I called to complain about 'the girl on the train' and she's heard about you a lot after too," he said. I smiled.

"My mom knew about you too," I said, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Really?"

"Yeah you're annoying as hell, I need to tell someone," I said and he laughed. I giggled slightly. "When is meeting day?"

"Tomorrow, maybe you could meet her then," he said and I paused.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah!"

"Don't you think introducing me rather than Nyma might be a little confusing for them?" I asked and Lance paused, considering it.

"No, they'll meet her too, there won't be any confusion, my mom knows you too well," he said.

"Wow, you must like me a lot to be blabbing about me to your mom," I joked and he raised an eyebrow.

"I could say the same to you," he said smugly. I opened my mouth to retort, but was cut off with the sight of Nyma coming around the corner.

"Hey guys!"

"Hey, we were talking about visiting day," I said, and Lance glanced at me, confused at my subtle change in mood, before realizing I was still subconsciously concerned with making Nyma feel out of place.

"Oh are your parents coming?" Nyma asked and I once again shook my head. "Why not? I'll be sure to have a stern talk with your mom."

I of course knew it was a mistake, she didn't know, but it still slightly made my heart ache.

"Hah yeah, I'll see you guys later," I said, picking up my bag and walking off quickly. I suddenly felt everything begin to weigh down on me, a heavy feeling in the hollow of my chest.

I can't carry everything anymore.

~Calymari