Milkshakes | Chpt 24

Heyyyyyy

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

"So wait explain this again?" I sighed, passing a store window.

"Well, you know Lotor is a jerk, right?" I asked and Lance nodded. "He invited Allura to the Yule Ball, and whether he actually likes her or not, I disapproved. So when I told her my concerns she got all defensive about it. You'd think you could at least hear out your good friend about this dick."

"I'm just so confused about why he asked her out of all people," Lance replied as I shoved my hands in my pocket. The Yule ball was in just a week now, and Allura was still not talking to me. We were supposed to go dress shopping, but I had no doubt she already had hers. I'd just take Pidge along with me. Right now, I was finally going out with Lance for milkshakes. I made mention of it a couple days ago and since it was Friday and we didn't have a game, he suggested it.

I really didn't find him so annoying anymore, at least not the bad kind. It was actually nice to have him around as much as I hate to say that. I, however, severely disliked Nyma as did she with me. Lance was nice to talk to in class, but each time she'd show up and make a show of her relationship. As if I care. I was actually playing nice for once and she was just making difficult.

"Here," he muttered and pulled at my elbow so that I'd stop and turn to enter the diner. "It's just, she's pretty, sure, but she doesn't seem like...his type?"

"I see what you mean, it's really weird to me too," I said. We sat down and a busy waitress sent menus floating our way. "What is this place?" I asked.

"Vrepit Sal's or something? I don't know Hunk suggested it," he said, shrugging. I hummed lightly and went back to the menu, looking at the different flavors. I decided on a milkshake as did Lance and we sat there waiting for them.

"Okay, speaking about types, I have a question."

"Shoot."

"Why are you taking Nyma? To the Yule Ball? Didn't you want to avoid her before?" He paused, drumming his fingers along the table.

"Well, I ran into her the day after you disappeared and she asked me if I was taking anyone, and I just said no. I just--decided I'd ask her," he said. I nodded. He scratched at the back of his neck awkwardly. "Jealous?"

"As if," I scoffed and he smiled lightly.

"Darn." Our milkshakes arrived and I picked up mine, holding the straw between my fingers. I glanced over my glass at Lance and gave him a side smirk. He smiled back and we sipped. "I know this might be a downer, and me of all people definitely don't deserve to know let alone ask, but I was wondering if you wanted to talk about your mom or anything."

My smiled dropped slightly, and I put down my glass chewing lightly on the inside of my lip. I hadn't really talked about it for a while and I, of course, was still upset about it. Something about telling Lance about this seemed weird, seeing as she'd never know what happened to the two of us in the future. She only knew about a guy named Lance that drove me crazy sometimes.

Made me think of all the unfinished things she was caught in the middle of. Lance noticed my drop in mood and began to panic slightly.

"Oh my god, I'm such an idiot, I shouldn't have said that, if you wanted to say something you would've, and that's such a downer, I'm so dumb," he rambled, drumming on the table with his fingers again. Must be a nervous habit. His far hand pulled at the back of his neck as he profusely apologized, genuinely sorry.

That was why I kept around. Sure he was annoying, but he's really a nice guy. We just haven't got along so far, but that can change right?

"Lance?" I placed a hand on his hand to get him to stop drumming and in turn stop rambling. "It's okay, she's in a better place, and we can talk about her some other time, just not today."