Going Home | Chpt 79

Hello

As a senior, class of 2020, corona is actually ruining my life. :)

Enjoy~

(y/n)'s POV

Everyone had left and it was quiet. There were a few stringy pieces of pineapple still left on my plate and I sat silently with Lance. I stood for a moment to rinse my plate of the sticky remnants of my small breakfast. I rinsed the strings away down the sink and placed it in the dish washer. When I glanced back around, I saw that Lance had been watching me. He didn't know why he felt guilty, but he did. He stood up and extended his arms for me to come to him. I stood there for a moment not wanting him to believe I was mad at him if I refused, but not wanting to be the one who goes to him. That wasn't fair.

Lance took the steps towards me, wrapping me up in a hug. His arms pressed firmly at my back and my head laid to the side on his chest. I stared off to the side before my arms hesitantly grabbed at the hem of his shirt at his lower back. 

"What's wrong? I haven't seen you like this since the tournament," he said softly. His lips were resting against the top of my head so that when he spoke they moved against my hair. I faced his shirt, feeling tears run down my cheeks. 

"I don't feel good," I choked, sniffling. He pulled me closer a soft shush brushing over the top of my head. 

"Where does it hurt?" 

"My chest," I cried, tugging at his shirt. 

"Okay, come on," he said, leading me along the hall. We made our way up the stairs together, his arms still holding me. He sat me down on his bed. I glanced around the room with blurry eyes, remarking that it smelled like him and his brothers. They all had that sort of McClain aura that you could clearly see and feel in the room. He sat down beside me, laying the both of us down. I knew I shouldn't be so attached and so childish, but I was still a child. I grew up too fast and I couldn't keep up. I curled up into him and he rubbed at my back. What else was he supposed to do? "I wish you felt better."

"I know."

"You only have a day or two left here, I don't want you to be hurting while we can be together," he said and I felt my chest squeeze. He shifted so that he was hovering over me. He planted a kiss on my cheek and my jaw and my neck. He pecked my chest where my heart resided before falling back beside me. He took my hand, tangling up our fingers.

"Do you love Safie?"

"What?" I sat up, letting go of his hand and glancing back at him propping himself up on his elbows.

"Do you love her?" I asked.

"What would make you think that? Of course not," he said. I curled my legs into my chest.

"You're so close."

"Are you jealous?" he asked and I glanced back at him again. "(y/n) don't be irrational."

"Irrational?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowing. "Lance you've been best friends with her since you were kids and don't think I can't see the connection you both have. You two fell asleep curled up against each other last night."

"(y/n), just because you're close friends with someone doesn't mean you're in love with them. I'm not. Safie is just my friend," he insisted. I crossed my arms over my chest. "Is that...is that why you came here?"

"What?" I asked.

"Is that why you came to visit?" he asked and I felt the color drain from my face. "(y/n)?"

I didn't answer.

"Oh my God are you serious? You really came all the way not because you wanted to see me, but because you wanted to check up on me? What's your problem with me?"

"I don't have a problem with--"

"Clearly you do." I stared at him.

"Look, seeing as how we started, yes I did come here to see. You still loved Nyma even after we were together," I said.

"Yeah and I told you because I wanted to be honest."

"And I'm being honest with you Lance! You have a flirty personality and sometimes I don't think you realize who you're leading on. I'm jealous of her because you two are so close! If I'm not the one meant for you and she is, then just tell me."

"You're acting crazy. I don't want to be with her."

"Okay then. That's fine. Good news."

"No, this isn't over."

"Why?"

"Because stuff like this is ridiculous. Do you not trust me at all? Even if Safie told me she liked me, would you be confident I'd say no? Because right now it certainly doesn't seem like it."

"Well maybe not! I mean you two are practically dating."

"Oh come on! We are not and you're once again seeing things that aren't happening. I have not once told you about your habits with Keith, have I? I leave them alone because no matter how jealous I can get, I trust that you like me and not him. But if this is how it's going to be, then fine. Do you like Keith more than me? Huh?"

"No, Keith is--"

"Your friend? What about when I saw you kissing at the dance? Clearly you two have something going on because if being close friends means you like each other then you two must be."

"Lance."

"Cheating on me?"

"Lance."

"If you don't trust me then just break up with me, don't come here and make me feel bad for having a friend outside of you. Sometimes this jealous crap makes me really question why I'm dating you."

"I'm not trying to make you feel bad, it's just hard seeing your boyfriend all over another girl. I wanted to come here to see but I also came here--"

"To what? Assert your dominance or something?"

"I came here because I was uncomfortable and when I'm fucking uncomfortable I go to you! I like to confide in you and find comfort in you, but if you think I'm just being some crazy jealous person who thinks about you as property that I'm competing for then you're wrong! You're so fucking wrong! I was considering stepping down if you did like her because I want your stupid ass to be happy. I admit I should trust you more and I'm working on it, but if this is what you think and what you feel then maybe we should just break up." I stood up, glancing at him.

We just stared at each other.

"I'm not crazy. I'm jealous but I love you so damn much that I had to come here. But if you want to break up then we will. I'll walk out the damn door and you don't have to stop me," I said. He again said nothing. I walked out, slamming the door shut. I knew I was partly in the wrong, but now so was he. I felt tears running down my cheeks again and I headed to the girls room, beginning to pack up all my stuff. Maybe I could get an earlier flight back home. 

I can't believe he didn't stop me. 

There was a commotion downstairs and it appeared that everyone had returned. People fluttered around the house and it was over. Veronica entered the room to see me packing, her heart dropping to the soles of her shoes. 

"Going home?"

"Yeah."

"Early."

"Yeah."

She dropped to her knees to help me place my stuff away for me. She knew I would talk about it later and for that I felt grateful. 

And we were silent.

~Calymari