McClains | Chpt 36

Hewwo~

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

"(Y/n)!" I turned within the sea of parents and siblings, trying to spot who was calling my name. I somehow spotted Matt's head bobbing about and headed towards that.

"Oh (y/n) darling, so sorry to hear about your mother dear, how are you? How it your father?" Mrs. Holt took me into a well needed.

"Hi Mrs. Holt, I'm doing okay and so is my dad, thank you," I said and she smiled at me, brushing hair from my face. I spent most of my time at either Pidge's house or my own, and we often spent Christmases or other holidays together. Last Christmas I had even invited Keith to come back with us and it had been the best Christmas I'd ever had. I wasn't too sure how I would feel about the upcoming Christmas during break, the first without my mother.

"Mom why'd you have to bring that up?" Pidge said.

"I'm concerned for (y/n), Katie, and I don't appreciate the comments," Colleen said and I giggled at the groan Pidge replied with.

"(Y/n)'s tough, still kicking ass in Quidditch," Matt said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Language Matthew, and I'm sure. You were always a natural with the broom," Mrs. Holt replied.

"Where's Mr. Holt?" I asked.

"Oh you know how that office is. Keeping a poor old muggle's expert overtime with the rest of the office," she sighed and I nodded.

"My dad's working too," I replied.

"You're welcome to spend the day with us dear," she offered, but I shook my head."

"I'm fine, thank you," I said. "I've got to meet up with a friend."

I was planning the day with Keith, as he had no parents to come on visiting day. I stayed with the Holts for a while before heading off in the opposite direction. I glanced around for Keith, going to reach into my pocket to text him, when someone caught my arm.

"(Y/n), there you are!" I glanced around at Lance who had caught my elbow. "Mamá this is (y/n)."

A short woman with graying, brown curls and a warm smile responded to Lance's introduction.

"So you're the famous girl in our casa, nice to meet you dear," she said, taking me into a warm hug that tugged at my chest. It was a motherly hug, one that reminded me of my mom.

"Nice to meet you too Mrs. McClain."

"Please call me Rosa," she said, brushing a soft greeting peck against my cheek. She smiled widely before grabbing Lance's arm and watching me fondly.

"I can't believe Lance actually managed to fix this," Rachel called, taking a gentle hold of my necklace. She was the one who Lance called to help fix it.

"Oh come Rachel give him some credit," The largest of the 3 brothers called, wrapping a friendly arm around my shoulders. "He's pretty alright for a nerdy wizard boy."

I laughed and Lance let out a 'hey'.

"You must be Luis."

"Indeed I am! Best McClain son!" He said, with a hearty laugh.

"Clearly incorrect, that would be me," the remaining one said. Marco. "How does it feel meeting the superior brothers?" He gave me eyebrows to which his mother swatted at his arm.

"Pretty good I'd say."

"I can show you who's the real wizard of the family," he smirked. Perhaps that's where Lance gets his flirty side from.

"I think you mean witch," Veronica butted in. I had ran into Veronica a few years back, before she had graduated. She wore a clean cut robe and a smile on her face as her Quidditch team, Ravenclaw took home the over all victory. I hadn't realized she was a McClain until Lance explained it to me, and I felt a slight resentment to the fact I wanted to be her so bad. "I heard you're extremely good at Quidditch."

"Hah, hardly, compared to you."

"You know I played?"

"Of course! After I saw you won for our house I wanted to play so bad," I said and she smiled.

"Hmm, I like her," Veronica said, motioning to Lance.

"How long have you been dating my son?" Lance's father asked and I paused.

"Papá, she's not my girlfriend."

"Dear perhaps your memory is getting scrambled with old age, Nyma is his girlfriend remember?"

"Why haven't we met her yet?" He asked, glancing to Lance.

"She's talking to her family, (y/n) is my friend." I glanced away, realizing I was encircled by his family. I met eyes with Veronica who seemed to fully understand my embarrassment.

"I'm sure (y/n) has some other things to do," Veronica said.

"I have to meet up with Keith," I said abruptly, giving an awkward smile as I walked away.

"Is he her boyfriend?" I heard his father ask again.

"No papá, at least I don't think so," Lance replied as I turned the corner and their conversation was swallowed up by everyone else's.

I did manage to find Keith, but went to my room instead. It was all a tad bit overwhelming, and it was my fault for going out. I should've just stayed in bed, not having to be reminded of my mom or my failure with Lance.

I knew his dad probably meant nothing by it, but it still stung at the reminder. Then again, I had to remember that I had to let things play out, instead of actively avoiding things, so maybe it was good that I went out, despite the burning in my sternum.

I laid back against my duvet, feeling my body sink into my mattress as my phone rang. I picked it up.

"Hi dad."

"Yeah, I'm okay."

"I know you had to work, Katie's dad is working too remember?"

"I know."

"I miss you too."

"Yeah."

"I love you too dad."

I set down my phone after the line went dead and I sniffled, rolling to my side and curling up. I shut my eyes and tried to drown out all the laughter outside.

~Calymari