Meant to Say | Chpt 38

HEY This is being updated today because I had competition yesterday.

Enjoy~

Lance's POV

I sat outside the main office, listening to Nyma talk warmly in my ear. (y/n) was inside, talking with Honerva about the mistake. She had gone in alone, wanting us to wait outside. Pidge was strewn over two chairs, the second chair under her legs was occupied by her mother. My mom sat on my other side, her hand on my knee. Keith sat brooding on the other wall, watching Nyma and I carefully. We met eyes for a moment, violet eyes watching through his bangs. He seemed pissed at me, glaring at me bluntly. I picked up my phone, glancing at it but there was nothing to see. Did Keith think I did it? I let out a breath.

"Who could've done this?" Nyma murmured and grasped my hand. 

"She thinks it's Lotor," I said, as she rest her head on my shoulder. 

"Why would he do such a thing?"

"I don't know, but I'm pissed," I replied.

"But, even if her name was put in by someone else, the goblet still picked her. What does that mean?" she asked.

"I don't know Nyma," I said shortly, taking back my hand. She sat up, sensing that I wasn't in the mood to talk. I was overly angry, because this was completely out of line, even for Lotor. As strong as (y/n) was, I certainly didn't want her getting killed in the competition. The door to Honerva's office opened and she led (y/n) out, her hand on (y/n)'s back. 

"If you ever feel the need to speak with me, please don't hesitate," Honerva said warmly, patting her back lightly. I watched Keith stand up, ready to take Honerva's place around (y/n)'s shoulder. I swallowed and pushed the tightness in my chest down. Where had he been earlier? I had been there.

"So?" Mrs. Holt asked, and (y/n) glanced over as the headmaster's door shut.

"I'm competing, and whoever put my name in will be found and punished," she said. "The goblet chose my name, so I guess it wants me to compete, and...I can do it." she glanced up at me in her pause. Keith's arm slung around her shoulder and Pidge walked with her mom behind them. I watched them go for a second before grasping Nyma's hand and following my mom in the opposite direction. I said my goodbyes to my family, hugging my mom last.

"Be nice to that girl of yours," she said and I smiled.

"I will, Nyma really likes you," I replied.

"Not Nyma mijo, I think you know who I mean," she said and I paused.

"Mom I'm not dating--"

"I know, just be good to her," she replied, pecking my cheek and going off with my siblings and my father. I ran a hand through my ruffled hair and turned around, shoving my hands deep in the pockets of my jeans. I passed Nyma saying goodbye to her family, one of her sibling ruffling Rolo's hair. I paused, watching for a moment before nodding a goodbye to all of them. I hunched slightly, walking down the empty hall.

"I know."

I glanced around the corner, seeing (y/n) leaned up against the wall, her phone gripped tightly against her face.

"I know Dad, I don't know who did it," she said, letting out a breath. I could tell she was trying not to cry.

"I'm doing it." I watched her wince.

"I promise I'll be careful, the goblet chose me Dad," she said. She went silent for a long time, wiping away at her eyes quietly. 

"I won't, I'll be careful. I wouldn't do it if I thought I wouldn't make it."

"I miss mom too."

"I promise."

"You'll come support me?"

"That's okay, I know you'll try."

"Okay."

"I've got to get to the gym and practice. I'll need all I can get," she said. I watched her let out a breath, shutting her eyes and placing her head against the wall. She looked miserable.

"Love you too."

"Bye Dad."

She hung up her phone, cradling it in her hands. She stared at it for a while before inhaling shakily and pressing her shoulders down, pushing back a painful expression. She began walking away, stopping for a split second to rip down a flyer for the tournament, crumpling it and tossing it away, her hands in tight fists.

I felt the sudden urge to follow her and talk to her, but I turned the opposite way, heading back to my dorm. I walked along, my shoes scuffing lightly against the stone floors. I picked up my pace slightly, (y/n) on the brain. 

Why had my mom said that?

She had no right to assume that I liked (y/n) more. Was she assuming that? Maybe she just meant because of the tournament and everything. Plus I was mean to her when we first met, so maybe to make up for it. Be a better friend, that's it. I paused at the door of my house, letting out a breath.

Right?

Why was I thinking about this so hard?

I suddenly felt my brain shut off and I took off running towards the gym. I skidded almost past the door, swinging it open. I saw (y/n) walk out of the locker room dressed to work out and she paused, seeing me out of breath.

"Lance what the he--"

I tackled her suddenly in a hug, hearing her squeak and stumbled back. I held her in my arms, hugging her tight against me.

"Lance what is this for?" she asked, placing hesitant hands against my back.

"I'm such a shitty friend."

"What?"

"I want to be a better friend to you," I said and I felt her muscles tighten up as I pulled away. She glanced at me with furrowed eyebrows. "I want to, so please don't try to make me seem better than I am."

"I--okay," she said and I hugged her again, this time less forceful. She was still hesitant to wrap her arms around me in return, her shoulders caving slightly into me. She let out a shuddered breath and pushed me away after a few seconds. I nodded awkwardly, waiting for her to say something, but she only stared at me. She looked as if what I said was not what she wanted to hear, her arms crossed along her chest. I eventually left without a word, realizing now.

That wasn't what I meant to say.

And I don't know what I was meant to.

~Calymari