Summer | Chpt 81

hi :) happy Easter

Enjoy~

(y/n)'s POV

I didn't think I'd expect a call from Hunk seeing as he and his family were in Samoa until the very end of summer, so when I answered I was thoroughly surprised.

"Hunk?"

"Hey! How's it going?"

"Alright..."

"I heard from Lance about things. I know we don't talk much, but I thought I'd check in," he said and I felt my heart drop. I hadn't talked about Lance in days, though he had been in my mind. Hearing his name made my chest squeeze.

"I'm fine," I replied. So Lance had been talking about me? It was something I expected, but I wanted to know exactly was going through his brain. Did he want to talk? Would he consider getting back together? Would he...

"You sure? He sounded like a wreck on the phone," he said and I swallowed with great struggle.

"No."

"No?"

"No. I'm not fine."

"What can I do? I can talk to Lance for you," he offered.

"No...no I can do that myself."

"Well, again I just thought I'd see how you were. Didn't expect you to be any better and I want this to be alright."

"I think we just need some space."

"That seems like a good idea."

"Yeah."

I remembered that chat being the last of Lance I heard for the rest of the Summer. Not a single person wanted to utter his name around me anymore, as to respect my wishes of wanting space. So for those 2 long months I didn't receive a call from Lance. He had disappeared from my life just as quick as he had entered it 4 years ago. That Summer a grew a little taller and a little fuller so that I didn't seem as uncomfortable in my own skin. I had spent weeks at a time at Pidge's where we would run around in the grass and have movie nights outside. I met Keith's mom more properly and learned more about Keith's other half. I went to carnivals with them and my dad, not forgetting to stop at the London eye once or twice those months. I had sleepovers with Allura and Pidge like we did at school every night in the dorms minus the homework and the curfew.

So when I returned to school for my 5th year at Hogwarts, having a fulfilling Summer under my belt I wasn't so scared to see Lance again. We could just talk, though I hardly remembered what we had split up for. So much could change in 2 months and I was beginning to believe that it was probably a good thing we did split up.

I felt more like me and now it would be easier to tackle issues with him rather than against him.

"Did you grow another half inch?" Pidge asked and I shook my head.

"You're just saying that because you're short," I said, stepping off the Hogwarts' Express.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm just excited to be back."

"Only you would be excited about school," I said.

"I, too, am excited!" Allura replied and I rolled my eyes. They were both too smart I felt a few steps behind.

"Ugh, learning," Keith muttered and I smirked. At least I had Keith. As we made our way into school I passed by quite a few people I knew, but none of them were Lance. I didn't know exactly how I wanted to approach this, but seeing Hunk stand out above the crowd I knew that Lance was near. I peeked around students, eyeing first years and groaning slightly when they walked so dreadfully slow.

I saw that Lance too grew taller like I had and he was extremely tan from spending so much time under the Cuban sun. He wore a weary smile, his stance easy and relaxed. He exuded beach aura from having such a relaxing Summer. Before I might've blamed him for not missing me, but I hadn't missed him nearly as much as I thought I would. Not that I didn't still love him, but I needed to grow up a little before we could continue and so did he.

"Lance!" I called and he glanced my direction. I finally pushed through to stumble slightly to his feet. I glanced up at him with a delicate smile on my lips, my eyebrows dipping downwards to look at him with a morose happiness. I missed those blue eyes the most. "Hey."

"Hey." His lips curled up into a slight smile and I could tell we were both thinking the same thing. "Talk after the opening ceremony?"

"Yeah, definitely." I wrapped my arms around his torso, squeezing him into a hug which he quickly reciprocated. "It's so good to see you."

"You too."

So after all the first years had been sorted and we were left to our own devices I made my way to where I knew Lance would be. I saw him sitting there at the fountain where we had shared our first kiss.

"Hey again," I smiled and he smiled back as I sat down beside him.

"So..."

"I missed you," I said, turning my eyes to the floor.

"I missed you too."

"I feel like you should know how sorry I am about my whole jealousy."

"And I'm sorry about the things I said."

"This summer I grew up a lot and I can tell you did too. I think it was for the best that we took a break and I just want to keep it as a break. Not a break up."

"That's exactly what I want."

"No more childish stuff."

"Yes."

"Good then. I can tell you how handsome you are," I said. "And I can do this." I pressed my lips gently to his cheek. I watched color flood his cheeks and he glanced down at me.

"You know you look really good. Summer suits you well," he said. I smiled slightly, placing my head on his shoulder.

"Thank you."

"Don't you think it's so crazy how easy this is?"

"Maybe," I replied. "But why question it?"

He tilted my chin up to look at his face and pressed his lips to mine softly.

Crazy what 2 months can do for a lifetime.

~Calymari