Trial 2 | Chpt 44

Hello

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

"Next up! Our competitors will be going into a simulated cave system to try and find something that was taken from them!" The announcer called and the crowd roared.

"Taken from us?" Bandor asked as he approached my side. His right, wand wielding wrist was limp at his thigh.

"Not sure, and I don't think they'll tell us," I replied. We were ushed to starting lines and a large hole appeared in the ground. Did we have to jump in there?

"Ready competitors? Sven, take your head start!" I watched him leap into the hole and I waited for my cue. I heard my name and the crowd surged with my body as I sprinted to the hole, leaping feet first in one edge. I fell a few feet, my heels slamming uncomfortably into the ground. I had some magic to lessen the blow but my feet were surely bleeding from inside my shoes now. After tripping in the maze I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I took off into a sprint, scooping up a rock. I etched a line into softer areas as I went so I would find my way out.

Bats flew at me and I ducked, running further. Something taken from me? Like what?

Lance's POV

"Excuse me? You are (y/n)'s friends correct?" I glanced down to the field for a moment. "Would one of you like to be what she's going to find in the next trial?"

"I'll do it," I said suddenly and Pidge glanced at me.

"Wonderful, follow me please," the man replied and I glanced back.

"Tell me how she does."

"Okay, to ensure your safety we're going to put you under and transport you to the spot okay?" I nodded and he placed the tip of his wand against my forehead.

Suddenly everything was gray.

I could feel the ground shift to soft earth and my back planted firmly against the wall, but I could not see anything. I heard the soft drip and echo of a cave and the blare of the announcer sending them off.

(Y/n)'s POV

The cave grew darker and I lit the tip of my wand as a flashlight. What could I be looking for? My breath grew shaky as the thick, muggy air filled my lungs.

I descended carefully down, trying to fill my lungs up. I stepped over twigs and dirt so far down into the ground. I could only hear the dripping of water echoing throughout the cavern. I had no idea who was watching me or not.

3rd Person

"And now, we'll be tapping into the minds of our competitors to set an obstacle for them! Let's take a look at (y/n) in the lead so far."

The image shifted to her, stumbling around in the dim lighting of her wand and breathing thickly. She stopped, holding her wand out. From what could be seen, she was talking to someone. Pidge grasped Allura's hand as Keith leaned in to look at the screen, a hand on Allura's shoulder.

(Y/n)'s POV

"Mom?"

"Oh honey it's so great to see you doing so well."

"Mom what are you, how are you—"

"Oh dear it seems you're injured, why don't you come back up with me and we'll get you fixed up."

Was I hallucinating?

"No, I can't."

"You don't want to come with your own mother?"

"You're not real," I replied, my face going warm and my eyes hot with tears.

"You don't want to do this, I know you don't. So why not just give it up now? If I'm in your head clearly you yourself doesn't want to continue," she said. I felt tears streak down my face and I wiped them away with a dirty hand.

"I'm sorry. I miss you so much," I choked out, my breath hitching in my throat. I shut my eyes and launched a spell, only to see it hit the wall. She was gone. I wiped at my eyes roughly and lit my wand again, trekking forward.

I edged further, seemingly to no avail. I wasn't finding anything. I pushed through cobwebs into an open area. I could hear squeaks and scurries, the walls hollow.

"You can give it up now. Your feet must be aching." I shivered and turned. There instead of my mom was Lance.

"Go away, you're not real."

"How do you know? Maybe I'm supposed to be what you're finding. How ironic to have me taken away for a second time."

"What?"

"First Nyma steals me away and now this? Must be awful."

"Stop."

"If you love me you'll come back with me. End these silly games."

"Please stop," I pleaded. My face was hot with tears.

"Fine just run away like you always do. This is why you're not with me."

Just in your head.

I launched another spell and it hit the wall, the second obstacle gone. I let out a shuddering breath.

I glanced to a small hole, far to small for me and headed for it. I tucked my wand away. Of course they wouldn't make this just like the maze. I really had to look for it. I dug away at the wet dirt with my hands for a while, wiping sweat from my brow. No summoning spell would work all the way down here and I didn't even know what I was looking for.

I dug through and the hole widened. I crawled down, roots of some plant scratching at my arms and legs as I crawled. It got to a point where I could stand and I came to a spot. It could only hold one person, and it was holding one.

"Lance?" He didn't respond, his eyes lulled back into his head, behind his eyelids. He was real this time and heavily unconscious. "Dang it, I'm sorry for this." I cast a spell to make him lighter and he fell from his stance. I sniffled and wiped my face before I dragged him back through the hole, pulling roughly to get his legs out. "Sorry buddy."

I hoisted him up onto my back. I could run with him, but not for long. He was light now, but not light enough. I hurried back through my marked path. I had taken away too long, I was more certainly last by now. My feet ached and blistered now, parts of my sick warm with blood. I reached the hole to see there was now a ladder to get out.

I quickly climbed up and fell to the grass around the hole, Lance falling beside me.

"First place to (y/n)!"

What?

The crowd cheered and nurses swarmed around. They pulled my shoes off and healed them as quick as they could, but my socks were still wet with blood and the ache spreading to my legs remained. One nurse woke Lance up from his slumber and he glanced up, dazed and confused. He glanced to me for a moment, my face still red and blotchy. His eyes flashed with concern before he was escorted away. He glanced back at me, leaving me sat on the field until he was too far to see me anymore.

~Calymari