3: Survivors

"What's taking them so long?" he grumbles as he skips a stone across the pool. It adds to his impatience as he finds that it sank a leap away from his opponent's record.

"Calm down, Tae," Hoseok mutters, dragging the wires across the cold ground and dumping them into the box. He scrambles up the plugs and remaining equipment, shoving his socked feet into warm shoes as he continues his task. "Man, its so cold here. Can someone grab a carpet?"

"It's goddamn freezing. Who the hell decided we stay in a place like this? This crappy old mansion with its cold floors and non-existent heating versus the goldmine of options in Silicon Valley." With a discontented sigh to accompany his irritation, Yoongi exhales the cancerous yet relaxing air from his cigarette, watching Hoseok as the man drags the boxes across the room.

From the other end of the couch, Jungkook sulks, arm thrown over the armrest. "What's the use of a goldmine now? And Silicon Valley, you can keep dreaming until you learn to fly a plane hyung."

"What's wrong with the house?" Hoseok asks. He stops his task to take a breather, looking at the huge heater he'd pushed up from the basement and regarding it with distaste. It didn't look a magnificent thing but he supposed it could suffice. Now all that was needed was for Namjoon to work his brains on this thing and everyone would feel a little warmer. Thinking of-

"Where is Joon?"

Yoongi shrugs, taking another puff and blowing it purposely in Jungkook's face as revenge to the younger for shading him. Coughing, Jungkook glares at Yoongi before replying to Hoseok. "Who knows? Ran off somewhere."

"Call him," Hoseok demands, tapping the dusty top of the heater. "I don't know how to work this thing."

"Call him?" Yoongi smirks, as though Hoseok had just uttered a sarcastic joke. "And add to the radiation on this fucking planet? Sure. The sooner we die the better."

"Pfft," Taehyung stands up, walking around the outdoor pool and into the room to join the conversation.

It was a wide room that looked like it could have been used for women's knitting or something in the olden days, but now they just lounged here because they were too lazy to walk around from room to room. Because it was expansive the furniture wasn't cramped and they'd dragged a couple of beds here so they all slept together. Of course, sleeping separately wasn't a desire at all. As the only company for each other, every moment one or another was not there the world felt considerably empty.

Taehyung sat down on the piano stool, leaning his elbow on a nearby table. "If we were going to die, we would have done it already. Like everyone else."

"Taehyung, how many times have I told you not to bring that up?" Hoseok growls at him. "It just makes everything all the more depressing."

"Well I-" before they could continue arguing, a large echo ripples through the room announcing the arrival of people. The large front doors bang shut and footsteps stamp across the floor.

"Finally," Jungkook mutters, sitting up. "I'm starving."

The sounds come nearer and nearer and finally the much awaited Jin and Jimin push through the heavy wooden doors...leading in an unfamiliar figure.

A girl.

A girl?

***

You gulp at the sight of the four men sprawled around lazily in this huge house. They greet you with the same astonished expressions that you had previously welcomed from the two men who had introduced themselves as Jin and Jimin. 

"Who the fuck is that." Your eyes land upon a small man, a lit cigarette held between his fingers as he turns to look at you better. By his first impression, you guessed he would have been like a drug dealer or something in the real world.

"Is she a survivor?" An even lower voice belonging to a young man with his jaw dropped wide open, leans forward on his stool, refusing to believe in your existence.

"Yes." Jin nods, moving to the side so everyone can look at you better. For a second you feel like some animal on showcase, or the display products of a shop on the window. You twitch nervously, trying not to meet any of their gazes. "Where is Namjoon?"

"Thought you would know," Hoseok replies, still staring at you. "He ran off somewhere. Didn't say anything."

There is a silence as the new arrival is acknowledged. You take in the sight of the four gorgeous men (or perhaps they were only gorgeous because they were human, you reminded yourself) and step forward feeling the need to introduce yourself. "I'm Y/N." you say, your words bouncing off the thick walls of the room. 

Your voice just adds to the extraordinary surprise. Having been so used to the low tones of the other males, your higher pitched silky words float into the room as though it were a different language.

"Holy shit," the smoking man mutters, a sly smile running across his face. "Things. Just. Got. Interesting."