116: Discussion

You hand out the forks as Jin unwraps each packet of food. Each passing meal made him uncomfortable because he couldn't help doubting if you'd all run out of food. The stock looked promising but with everyone used to eating a lot the big appetites were hard to satisfy. He couldn't be sure anymore.

"Let's think this over as we eat," he'd suggested, knowing that eating would somehow help everyone to calm down a little and get their thinking caps on. Everyone nods, moving back down the ship. You, however, didn't know if you could eat after this revelation. If you were seeing The Sun, the biggest star in your galaxy, it changed everything. You now had something final to count on.

Jin pulls out the little packed boxes from one of the plastic bags, handing them to you and Hoseok who waits to peel off the foil and hand out the forks. Unwrapping the packets, hydrating the powders, and procuring the mess was a difficult job but you'd begun to get used to eating this way. Despite Jin's words, before you're even halfway through the task Namjoon's thoughts have already evolved.

"Now," Namjoon begins. "About the situation at hand-"

I thought we were gonna eat.

"-we need to be thinking strategically. If this is in fact The Sun, it could give us some kind of proportion in endless outer space. We can't afford to make unorganized decisions also because we have other factors such as the leaking tank to take into thought."

"About that," Hoseok interrupts, unwillingly. "I checked again this morning, to look at the progress."

"And?" you ask, hesitating suddenly a little fearful.

Hoseok scowls, as he looks into the distance trying to make out some sort of explanation. "I can't say," he admits, finally. "I mean it has surely reduced but honestly, I don't by how much."

"Just do the maths," Taehyung accuses him for being so slow.

"I suck at maths," Hoseok shoots back, a little embarrassed. "It's actually quite hard, how am I supposed to tell just by looking at it? And it's so dark down there"

I feel him.

You're not alone, Hobi.

"Well," Jin says a little impatiently as he stuffs himself. "Is it by a lot or not?"

"Well...uh..."

"I'll take a look at it," Namjoon offers. The lack of objection shows how dependent you all were on Namjoon's brain. 

"Now about the ship," Jin clears his throat, taking the lead. "Concluding again that that shining light there is our Sun, what are going to do?"

"Hold on," Yoongi says, suddenly. He was always quiet until he came up with something. It was either ingenious and helpful or some well-cooked remark he'd waited the right moment to say it. "Can't we just figure out the distance in between and compare it to the difference between the Earth and The Sun?"

"How are we going to find out the distance?" Jimin laughs like that was a dumb remark. "It's not like we can drive there and back. We've already got one warning."

"There's no device for it?" Yoongi asks dumbfounded. "Taehyung-ah, you don't know?"

"Know what?" Taehyung asks, more or less occupied with how long it was taking to distribute the food.

"The distance," Yoongi crosses his arms giving him a testy frown. "What's the difference between the Sun and Earth?"

A silence drops as everyone turns expectantly towards Taehyung. His eyes widen, intimidated by how he had suddenly become an object of use and interest. "I-I...I knew it but I...like a hundred million kilometres?"