13: Science

"Woah."

You'd never been into the place before because like the kitchen was "Jin's kitchen" Namjoon made it very clear that his studio was "his."

Despite the possesive rule, there was a free passway through the lab door and he never complained about it. He was too busy caught up in his mind palace to notice the presence of another or if he did catch you lurking beside one of his plans he was tempted to drag you into his idea making as well.

The first thing that hit you when you entered pushed past those bold doors was the air conditioning, clouding the floor off the place like most. It looked like it was freezing in here but with the boiler at the bottom of the house, the cold had competition.

Your eyes scan quickly around the large room. It's full of random papers, some of which consist of Jungkook's good drawings. There are some weird odds and ends that look like the unfinished figures of some ideas. There were a few tubes, a sink, snacks like bagged peanuts and of course wires and computers.

"Y/N-ssi, " Namjoon says jokingly, watching you enter as he's watching something on the computer, legs put up on the table. "Come to visit the Rkive? "

"Is that what it's called? " You say, heart warming immediately to this approachable man. Kim Namjoon, one of the most sweetest and smartest men you've ever met.

"Don't remember what it was before, but that's what it is now." He says turning, drawing up a chair for you to join him. "Do you like it? "

"It's brilliant." You praise, sitting beside him on a large rolling armchair that proved to be surprisingly comfortable.

"Got tired of the maknae line? " Namjoon grins. You look at his screen where he's got many tabs open. He's got Google Maps open one one but it looks lagged, as it refuses to zoom out. On other tabs are the calculator, a website for watching movies and something else that seems well hidden.

"They have so much energy," You say instead. "But no, I came for answers."

"And you think I have them? "

"I assume. Isn't that what you do in here?"

"Research." He says, simply. "Science. Brainstorming. In other words... I'm looking for answers."

"It looks all so high tech, " You say admirationally. "Are you a experimentalist or something?"

Namjoon chuckles shaking his head. "No, unfortunately not. Quite far from that. I'm a science teacher. "
Your faced drops suddenly as you cannot believe Namjoon, the grest god for destruction yet such a smart confident man had such a humble profession.

"Is it that disappointing? " Namjoon asks, observing your expression.

"No... No... I mean-" You begin suddenly embarassed for revealing yours thoughts so openly. "It's just... I expected... Something else. "

"So did I, " He sighs leaning back. "I was great in school which is why my parents pushed me to aim high. But I was too interested in people, to be clear. Human beings fascinated me. I wanted to do psychology. "

"Why didn't you? " You ask, reaching into his bag of microwaved popcorn and munching on.

"I don't know. " He shrugs. "I guess I wanted to please my parents. They'd given me so much support and done so much for me. Also, we didn't have the money for it, even if I'd applied for a scholarship or something. So I settled for a position as a teacher in a nice university. Thought it would be nice to pass on knowledge. "

You don't look to convinced by his story. Wanting to bring about a smile on your face, Namjoon reaches into a nearby drawer and fishes out a pair of glasses. He puts them on and turns to you more enthusiastically.

"How about now? Suits me better? "

The edge of your lips tip upward in amusement causing his eyes to light up. "Aish, " You reach forward and slide them off his face before turning them the right way up before giving them back to him. "You're wearing it upside down. "

"Oh, " He hastily fixes himself, laughing out of embarassment.

"You're so clumsy, " You chuckle. "Yet it's adorable. "

"Do you think I'm adorable Y/N-ssi? " Namjoon says suddenly, smiling wider.

"Of course you are, " You smile back. "Kim Namjoon, you have such deep dimples? Who could resist? "

He pokes a finger into his own dimple as if only just realising it was there. Ah, people with dimples must be taking them so advantageously, not knowing how lucky they are.

"Namjoon, " You begin again, scanning his lab with curious eyes.

"Mm? "

"What's a science teacher doing with such complex instruments and ideas? "

"Ah, " He claps his hands together. "Here, I am trying to construct something but... I end up breaking more than I build. But it's not on purpose. "

"What are you building? "

He winks. "Something cool."

Your eyes widen suddenly as a thought strikes your head. You gasp out loud and Namjoon's widen. "Yah yah not that cool! I'm no Einstein. "

"Are you... " You lean closer, whispering. "A time machine?"

His eyebrows raise and he looks shook for a second then he breaks out laughing shaking his head. "No no no... Haha. Wish I could do that, though."

"You could."

"But I don't know how to. And I couldn't."

"Maybe online?" You grin, realising how stupid you sound.

"What am I supposed to type in? DIY time machine? " He grins back. "Anyways, the 'online' isn't giving me proper results these days. All the simple stuff work but it's like... Undeveloped. "
His eyes go wide suddenly as an idea hits him and he sits up more interestedly, grabbing a bunch of papers that were catching dust on the desk.

"What?" You say, bewildered by his abrupt reactions "What happened? What? "

"The... Online, " He murmurs to himself. "It's undeveloped."

"Yeah? " You say, feeling like a real Sherlock and Watson situation right now. "What about it? "

"It's..." His pen drops to the floor in the sudden chaos. He reaches down to pick it up, almost falling over himself. But then, the action signals a news silence and peace of mind. He takes a deep breathe, eyes wide shaking his head. "But thats impossible. "

"What is? " You tug on his arm. "Namjoon talk to me. What are you saying? "

He turns to you, reacting to your words quicked than you expecting causing you to startle. He grips your arms. "The internet," He says almost boring his words into your skin like a tattoo. "Its not working. It only brings up simple results. You won't find Netflix or Twitter or any of the new stuff on it. The search engine has limited results. Google Maps is jammed. There are so many things we're unfamiliar with. Its undeveloped."

He's looking right into your eyes now, sending you some telepathic message that doesn't register in your equally undeveloped brain.

In a panic you think he's finally snapped and gone crazy. But then he says:

"Maybe, we've gone back in time."

[Hope you liked it! Don't forget to vote. And all your questions will be answered in the next chapter :) ]