122: Repopulation

zz ..... zzzz ....

Jimin's finger hovers over the treadmill, the expression on his face incredibly unmotivated. You can't believe how fast the rounds had gone, it seemed like hardly a day had passed and now it was your turn to run again. You didn't even bring proper workout clothes - you hadn't expected to be running miles in space - and now running in your floaty, loose clothes was an a great disadvantage. 

"So we've tried everything," you hear Yoongi say lazily, speaking in a long prolonged dialect as if words themselves were too much an effort. "We went in a random direction and got lost. We miraculously found the Sun but it gave us no clue on location, instead we only got a warning. We tried to follow the stars but there are so many we can't find anything and even when we did, we lost it. What else? " He smacks his lips again, thinking. "We've also tried giving up ... but that didn't work either."

"We're not giving up," Hoseok tells him seriously, refusing to just admit defeat. Because defeat meant death and above all, that terrified him the most. 

"Well we're out of ideas," Yoongi points out. "We're stuck up here like idiots. We're obviously going to die out here."

He's gone back to hating everything.

"Everything gone haywire inside here too," he continues moping, waving his hand about carelessly. "The oxygen tank is leaking, our food supplies are running out, so is the water and sooner or later Namjoon is going to break something. It's our fate, is it?" He presses his lips together in a straight line that stretches from one cheek to the other. 

"Death is left. And death will ... set me free."

"No," Hoseok contradicts him at once, shooting him an equally serious look. "I refuse that fate. I'm not going to die here. This ship will get back to Earth."

"Yeah," Yoongi agrees with him. "They'll find all our skeletons lying out here and we'll become one of those weird alien conspiracy theories that show up on the news and then die out."

"No," Hoseok's eyes wide, his no sounding more feeble than before. "That can't happen. People are never going to know what happened to us? Then what was all of this for? Just for us to end up like this?"

"What else?" Yoongi challenges him. "This was all crazy from the beginning. We were foolish enough to believe we'd make it all the way. From now on ..." he points to his head, "we should start mentally preparing for the end."

"This is not the end," Namjoon speaks up suddenly. His face is stony with all Yoongi's facts laid out. Like Hoseok, he refused to meet such a helpless fate. "There is still something we can do. Something we can do so people may someday know our story."

He turns to you suddenly. You, who had been patiently waiting for your turn, realize that you've somehow randomly been added to the conversation. You look to see the reluctant gaze in Namjoon's eyes as if he was about to regret what he was going to say. 

"Huh?" you say, confusedly. 

Whatever it was that he wanted to say Namjoon was having difficulty transforming it into words. He clears his throat a couple of time like he was coughing up something extremely disturbing. As you look around, you suddenly see everyone looking at you. Even Jimin had stopped the treadmill to observe you. What did they want from you? What was going on?

A slow smirk spreads across Yoongi's face. You turn from Namjoon to him, swallowing thickly as you look at him, feeling extremely self-conscious. Your heart beats faster in anticipation. 

"I guess ..." Yoongi begins slyly. "We must resort to Plan B."

Plan B. You freeze, momentarily malfunctioning. Plan B? They were kidding, he was kidding again wasn't he? He was making a joke to tease and annoy you, that's what he always did. That's what Yoongi always meant.