8: Big Things

"I bet you a hundred dollars I'm right."

"Ha! I have no use for that crap. You do my laundry for two months."

Taehyung stares at Jungkook incredulously, while Jungkook puts on an exaggerated smirk. Both debate in the silence, whether the offer is eligible and fair. "Whatcha say hyung?"

Namjoon walks around the sight, inspecting every detail like a slower, clumsier version of Sherlock Holmes. As he trips around over objects, Jin grabs his shoulder and pulls him away muttering something about breaking the clues.

Jimin, wrapped in Hoseok's greenish jacket, squats on the ground beside the flying ashes. The place is burnt. Burnt so black there was not a single hint to the start of the fire. It's what Jungkook calls, 'lazer-burnt.' Everything desecrated to black fluttery paper thingy bobs at pinpoint. Despite the small flames that everyone was now stamping out after the water throwin debacle, there was no other smoke. It was like the end of a war. Outside a small factory.

"This doesn't make any sense," Jin complains.

"Nothing does," Yoongi rolls his eyes. He closes his lips over another cigarette, in attempt to decrease his health before his confidence. At a distance you can hear the sea, waves crashing on the rocks at the beach. That must be the water body from where the small canal runs.

You wonder about the beach. It sounds compelling and you hadn't been to one in a while.

"I'll take a guess," Namjoon says, suddenly, like this was a game. Everyone waits, as he pauses for effect. However, his first words aren't that impressive. "Its humans..."

"That's what I thought," you argued.

"Humans don't have the power to do this," Taehyung counters.

"Unfortunately," Yoongi adds, pessimistically.

"...from above." Namjoon finishes. He sighs at all the interruptive comments and repeats himself clearly. "This is done by humans, from above." He erects one pointer finger and points up to the murky sky. "Look up there. Sometimes the answers aren't always down on Earth. If you see, you can see a parting in the dark clouds." He moves his hand about as he explains.

"Everywhere else it's the same. That gassy atmosphere. But now, as it's being covered up by natural wind you'll see there's a small hole. You can see an inch of lighter blue. Our original sky."

"Wh-what," you can hear Jin murmur, confused. Looking up yourself, you can sort of make out what he is trying to say. It's an almost foggy gap, an obscured shy blue hiding among the dusty clouds.

"What does that mean?" Taehyung gasps whirling at Namjoon. All former theories forgotten, he starts scrambling new ideas. "You think it's aliens?"

"Aliens," Namjoon nods, sympathetically, yet sarcastically, allowing the kid to include his childish opinions. "Or humans?"

"Same thing."

"They are not the same thing, Yoongi hyung."

You look back up at the sky in disbelief. It was merely a theory so there was no evidence put to it, but what was that supposed to mean? That the planet was getting attacked by another species or something? No...that was only in movies and stuff. All sci-fi. Plus you didn't believe in that sort of stuff.

Did you?

Jungkook, seeming to have the same thoughts as you, looks at Namjoon eyes wide. "Seriously, hyung?"

"Don't look at me like that!" Namjoon defends himself immediately. "It's just an idea. It could be anything. I don't have the answers written on me as much as I wish I did."

"We should look around," Jin suggests. "There's nothing to find here, anyway."

The rest nod and everyone begins to disperse. Lost, you swing the car keys around your hand and head back to the vehicle, mind working fast. You swing open the car door for the driver's seat and move to sit inside but instead find yourself high up in the air.

Jeon Jungkook's smooth arms wrap around your waist, lifting your easily out of his way instead of pushing you aside as though you were too fragile to handle such roughness and sits in your seat instead.

"Yah!" you say, incredulous, staring at him and a little flustered by his actions.

"Jungkook-ah, what are you doing?" Taehyung exclaims as there is an equal outburst from Jimin. "Get back in your own car!"

"No no no," Jungkook slides the seatbelt over himself quickly, trapping himself in like it's permanent that way. "I drove all the way alone and don't make me go with Yoongi hyung. His driving is suicidal. So is Hobi hyung's so what is the problem."

"I can drive," you say, pressing your hand against the car door indignantly. "And that's my seat, Kook."

"So, sit," Jungkook says carelessly, indicating to his lap as he switches on the engine. You slam the door shut in response and swing open the backseat, joining what you realised was know the 'idiot's den.' It was like a classroom and those sitting back here were the backbenchers. The ones who dozed off, ate, argued and-

"Yah Jungkook that was rude," Hoseok smacked the youngest one's head but not harmfully. He pulled his seatbelt over, as he was riding shotgun and pulled out his phone. "At least apologize.

"Or what?" Jungkook snaps, slamming on the accelerator, driving out smoothly. Damn, this kid was going through puberty or what? Did he even have a driving licence?

Hoseok looks at Jungkook helplessly, not expecting such a response. "Just do it," he ends up murmuring. You sigh, looking down at Taehyung's phone as he offered to show you something.

"Where are we going?" Jimin asks. "Jin and Namjoon hyung were going east I think, but we just came from there so-"

"Let's go the beach," Jungkook offers before you can say it. He looks up into the rearview mirro and winks. "You'll always find big things, south."