97: The Truth Untold

You lean your head against the wood, blinking back the tears. This was insane. What if your identity is actually here? Would all your memories come back if you find out about yourself? Who were you in the real world, Y/N? What were you doing, where were you studying, who are your parents, siblings, cousins...where in the world did you live? Who were the people of your life?

Except you couldn't.

You look down sadly at the table, sitting beside Jimin. He's still digging through the pages. After having calmed down a little, he decided to go through it page by page "even if it takes me all day." You watch him, a little awed by the passion and determination he had. He was going through it so carefully, swallowing each word, gulping down whatever truth was written in there.

"Did you find it yet?" you ask politely.

"No," he says, looking up momentarily to acknowledge and appreciate your presence. "Thanks for staying back here Y/N, but you can go and look for yours. I'll be fine."

"That's okay," you say, swallowing the guilt that arose with his words. But he catches something off with your okay. Slowly looking back up, Jimin studies your face more closely in the light coming through the large doorways.

"What's going on?" he asks.

"Nothing," you tell him, looking away. He leans closer over the table, the book temporarily forgotten as he sits right in front of you awaiting an explanation.

"Something's wrong," he guesses, slowly. "Why didn't you leave with the others?"

It was just the two of you now. As soon as Jimin had made his discovery, a new hope had sparked into everyone. You'd all rushed back to the entrance so everyone could jot down their own family numbers. The Kims had left with a flashlight, Yoongi with another and Jungkook and Hoseok together with the last one, leaving you and Jimin in the entrance to study his family history and find his identity. They'd been in such an excited rush, they'd hardly noticed you'd been left behind. Then again, Jimin in his own indignation hadn't said anything about you staying behind until you'd spoken.

"I..." you begin slowly, unsure of what to tell him. You feared saying it out loud would just make it all the worse but holding it in was painful too. You hesitate in your remorse. "I...I don't know my surname."

"What?" he blurts out, eyes going wide with shock. Eyebrows furrowing, he scowls in confusion. "Y-you don't remember your...full name?"

"No," you nod. He doesn't say anything, stunned into lack of words. Guilt overcomes him as he thinks of how greedily he'd just been endorsing in his pages across from you, one who had no chance of finding her identity. You avoid his face, not wanting to make the situation worse. It sucked, it really sucked. You'd thought hard, pieced Kims and Parks and Mins together with your name but it just didn't fit. That one puzzle piece was missing from your memory. Your last name was absent. You had no idea what it was and because of that...you could never find out.

"It's fine," you say quickly, forcing a smile. "I don't think I want to know anyway. It's scary finding out and even if I did...I don't think I'd be among these files. It's no-"

His hand suddenly grabs yours, squeezing it gently. You look up to his face to see deep sorrow reflecting in his eyes. The soft gesture turns into a hardened fist and fierce expression. "I promise, " Jimin says firmly. "Whoever erased our memories... Will pay for it. They'll pay for taking that all away from you."

You look down at the way he's holding your hand in his, spreading his comfort. It reminded you of that night he'd sung to you, promising your happiness.

"Come on," you say, disliking the depressive tone this had taken. He's been so happy to find that book and you'd entirely turned the tables. "Let's look for you."