135: Mission: Complete

The sound of footsteps running echoes through the corridor. The clack against the smooth, polished floor before stopping right outside a door.

Resting a trembling hand on the handle, he can barely contain himself before he flings it open and enters the room, trying to stay calm. He had to stay calm in order to get through this. 

"Sir..."

The man in the chair swings in his seat to face the intruder, cooly. But after seeing the former shaking like an atom he leans forward, curiously.

"Well?"

"It's...we've don-don- the pro..proje-"

"Words, please."

He takes a deep breath, exhaling fully before looking up solemnly at the man in the chair.

"They're here."

The man in the chair raises an eyebrow, as if he'd heard incorrectly. But he needn't bother asking for a repeat because he'd been waiting too long for those words to not recognise them at once.

Still, he had to confirm.

"Are you sure?"

"One hundred percent. A few hours ago an unknown spacecraft was said to have entered the Earth's atmosphere and crashed into the East China Sea. Based on the Chinese report, it exploded on impact."

"Interesting," The main in the chair leans back, folding his arms, nodding like that was all the proof he had needed.

"And what about our members?" he poses another question.

"The Chinese will be looking into it but it is unlikely that they will find anything unless they dig up the bottom of the ocean. It's a fatal landing...I doubt that anyone could survive it. They might be..."

"Dead?" The man in the chair finishes, chuckling in amusement. "No, they aren't dead. They know enough now, to be able to overcome...death."

There is no response. Reaching for something under his desk drawer, he fishes out a rolled map, stretching it across his table. His finger traces over it until it locates the East China Sea, tapping on the paper.

"The East China Sea," he states, simply. "The nearest land would be...Jeju-Do?"

"It could be, sir," he agrees. "I'd place my bets that they are there. The location of crash-landing fits too."

"Have they come in contact yet?" The man in the chair asks.

"I don't know. They'll most probably be searching for help."

He purses his lips, looking around the room. It had been a long wait, and he too was eager to wrap it up. To reap the crops. The results that had been haunting him regularly all this while, were now about to bloom before him.

It makes him smile.

"The end is coming," he states, pushing the items off of his desk reaching for his smartphone. "No in fact, it's right around the corner. t's time we made a few phone calls, Sejin. We must make arrangements for the aftermath, dig up the old work, bring the team together. I suppose by ethics, the families must know as well. It would be a good card to use get our participants on my side. But first, I need to meet them."

"I don't think they will come so voluntarily," the man opposite the desk advices. "After all, I don't believe they have much trust in us."

"That is true," the man in the chair agrees, swivelling around in it a little unsure. "But...they surely have enhanced the trust amongst themselves? There might even be some romance, well...I guess we shall have to conduct yet another experiment quite soon. You know what I mean, don't you?"

"Yes," the other nods and then adds politely. "Which one, sir?" 

"The girl," the man in the chair says, through a couple of seconds of thought. "I think she might be the most important asset to the team or rather, we have the highest probability with her."

"Understood."

Both exchange eerie smiles amongst one another, looks of satisfaction and pride. Like parents whose children had received top grades, like scientists who've cracked the code. As the first man turns to leave, almost in a bit of a hurry for he'd cast his excitement aside for formalities, the man in the chair leans back into it. For the first time in a long time he feels his muscles relax and the chair to feel soft and supportive. 

Mission: complete. 

"Jeju-do," He repeats, smirking wider as he speaks. He caresses the file beside him, a letter tucked into an envelope, reading off the top of it with glee.

"Kim Namjoon, Kim Seokjin, Min Yoongi, Jung Hoseok, Park Jimin, Kim Taehyung, Jeon Jungkook, Kim Y/N...."

"Finally, they are all here."

"Shall we go pick them up?"