76: Your Past

The school bell shrills out into the silence of the classroom.

Before you have hardly gathered your textbooks, you feel her tugging on the edge of your sleeve, urging you out of the place. "Ah come on, Adora! Everyday?"

"It's Friday!" she replies promptly, half out the door already.

"Huh," you grin at her, slinging your bag over your shoulder. You follow her out of the classroom, down the hall. A stream of students tumble out of their own classrooms, excited for the weekend. You, like the rest of them, looked forward towards the weekend but in quite a different light. Firstly, you had Adora beside you, literally hopping up and down like a bunny. Seriously, you didn't think there was someone more suited for that title than her.

"Y/N? Hello?"

"Yeah yeah, I'm listening. You were saying?"

"I was saying..." she begins again. "That I'm gonna have to skip tutoring because I'm going out."

You nod, unimpressed. It wasn't the first time she'd decided to ditch you for some adventure or other and you could guess what it was this time. Sure enough her next words confirm your theory.

"Yeah, I'm meeting Sejin and it's the only time he can because he's got work too."

"Seriously," you shoot her a look. "The guy who called you 'adora'ble?"

You both laugh. She blushes wildly as you both reach your shared locker. You'd supposed you we're only friends with her because the shared locker had brought you closer because you both had very different approaches to life. Yet they didn't mean the both of you couldn't chat and gossip and of course...be friends.
She shoves her books inside, picking up her house key from the upper shelf.

"Ah come on, it was kind of funny, " She persists whilst you shake your head chuckling.

"Ah please, Adora, I do have a proper sense for humour. "

"You laughed when I couldn't pronounce the trustfrated."

"Frustrated, " You grin, leaning against the locker. "Is it that hard?" You tease.

"Whatever, smarty pants."

She sticks her tongue out to show her unaffectedness and you can't help notice how cute she looks as she does so. There were definitely some girls in this school who had a natural talent for charisma and aegyo.

Unlike you.

"Well anyways, fill me up tomorrow," She requests. Banging the door shut she grabs her bag. "I gotta run."

"Yeah... " You say as she's already sped off to wherever she was supposed to go. You lean against your locker, looking down at your textbooks after you watch her skip off. She always seemed so excited, so eager... Always had something to look forward to.

No. You smile softly to yourself as you watch people pass by. The loud school bell rings across announcing the start of your class. You hasten on your way to the next class as you think about it.

But it's alright. You could be the nerd girl, the girl who chilled at home the one whose name didn't really matter. Wow, you really were the introvert.

You check the time on your phone, figuring you still had an approximate ten minutes to spare. Since Adora had so loyally ditched you, you decided to get some fresh air. Pushing out the school doors and down the steps you find yourself a sport by the one of the banisters. Pulling out a pack of gum you chew lazily as you observe those around you. The sky had a sorry of cryptic, hanging aura one that suggested something. You figured it was a sign of rain but had your superstition known, it would have warned you that this was perhaps the last time you would ever view such a sky.

"Daydreaming, are we?" A voice asks. You turn abruptly as if you were caught doing something wrong to face the person who'd seated themselves beside you. You don't recognize the face so you don't bother much about it.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you," You say a little nervous not so used to talking with strangers. You watch his face, little suspicious. He had a baby sort of face and shaggy haircut and you couldn't help but notice his unique sense of style. There was something about him you couldn't put a finger on.

Your silence makes it awkward for him to just stand there. Perhaps he was not one that enjoyed the quiet.

"Jungkook," He says, offering his hand. "Jeon Jungkook."

You look at his hand doubtfully as if you could contract some uncurable exaggerated contagious virus from the touch and then flick your glance up to his face once again.

"Do you go to this school?" You ask him a little curious. "It's just... I haven't seen you around before."

"Oh," He drops his hand realizing he was dealing with an unsocial girl. "You're right. I don't go here. I'm here to meet someone actually. Should be out any minute."

Ah, you think, biting your lower lip. So that explained it. He probably had a girlfriend whom he was lingering around for. Was everyone in relationships now? In fact it was hard to think of someone you knew that was not already dating someone else. Well perhaps that was because you didn't know many people.

Anyhow, it meant nothing. You still had hope that perhaps someday... you could matter to someone.

You realize you've been staring at him in your absent-mindedness and blink quickly averting your eyes. Well what was awkward. Thank heavens he didn't know what you were thinking. To make up for being quite an uninteresting person to talk to you, you pull out your last stick of gum and offer it to him while still chewing on yours. You hoped he wouldn't take it in a wrong way but then again you didn't even know what was the right way.

"Want one?" You saw, chewing vigorously on your own. He views rhe chewing gum and like his rejected handshake he remains quiet until you retract the offer a little amused by his passive ego.

"Well I'm... gonna check inside so..." He says slowly gesturing to the doors, signalling his leave. You nod politely half hoping he would exit quickly and half hoping he would stay and talk more.

Just as he turns to leave you blurt out:

"Y/N." You go a little red but decide to continue with your approach. After all he'd told you his name. "My name is Y/N."

He gives you a small smile, blinking as he looks into your eyed as a form of something you couldn't reason. Then he leaves just as suddenly as he'd come. What a strange guy, you think as you look out to the droopy skies preparing your gum to blow a bubble. Had it even been worth telling him your name?

It's not like it was going to matter to him anyway.

[You're probably sick of hearing this but the coronavirus has everything shutting down so please stay safe and healthy and wash your hands all that stuff :) ]