129: The End

[Caution for light mention of suicide]

"What's going on?"

"It's the radar again," Hoseok mumbles as he chews slowly on his mochi. He was nibbling on it, cherishing each fraction of it. It was the last thing he was ever going to eat and as much as he wanted to shove the whole thing in his mouth he knew too well the instant regret that would follow. Everyone seemed to be following this method as well, eating that one little thing so slowly it had almost become a competition of whose would last the longest.

"Shouldn't someone check?"

"It's been going off randomly lately," Hoseok explains, weakly. "I think different forces are confusing it or something. Whenever I check, it's nothing."

"So our spaceship is breaking down too?" Jin acknowledges, unimpressed.

"That thing never looked stable," Namjoon says randomly, despite having believed a lot in it in the recent past. "It's probably outdated."

"You're right," you agree. "Society moves so fast these days. Who knows how many years have passed now."

We'll never know.

Jungkook lets out a loud sigh. He looks at his empty fingers realizing he's lost the race in finishing his mochi first. He just couldn't resist chewing quickly, quenching his hunger and now it was over.

Y/N~ lets sha-

Don't even try.

Jimin coughs lightly, placing his helmet over his head again to induce proper flow of breath again. Taehyung looks at him concerned, helping his friend. You find it kind of incredible how he could selfless in a situation like this where it had literally become every man for hi.self.

You sigh, feeling the strange shortage of oxygen in your breath. It was the draining, the slow running out of resources. It looked like you'd be resorting to your spacesuit tanks sooner than you thought.

As the constant ringing of the radar goes on in the background, like a warning call of death, you begin to dwell on it longer. You'd just had your last meal, soon spacesuit confinement would lock in and all that was left was water.

Starvation, fear, exhaustion, tiredness, suffocation ... wouldn't it be better to just -

No. I know you've been thinking about it. But...

But what?

He goes quiet. He couldn't argue. There was, in fact, logic in that. There was sympathy as well. It was easier to end it quickly than to suffer. It was how you put animals to sleep, how broken people left, how old people passed ... like them you too were thinking maybe it was better to end this.

After all, these past few days had only proven that you were beyond hope. Beyond giving up. Beyond ideas. You couldn't turn back time no matter how much you wished you could and even if you could ... what could you have done differently? The answer comes to you shamefully. 

"I hate to say it," you admit, out loud lowering your head. "But I would have taken repopulation any day over this."

"It's too late now, Y/N," Yoongi says, almost passive aggressively. 

"Can't believe we're still talking about that even at the end," Jin scoffs, in amusement.

"We should never have left ARMY," Jungkook argues. "What were we thinking ... going to space?"

You're right.

"Can someone turn off that bloody thing?" Namjoon says, exasperated. The high screeching alarm continues to beep in the background like a UPS without an off button. He leans back into emptiness, sighing in annoyance.

"I'll do it," Jungkook volunteers, wishing to soothe Namjoon's lackadaisical attitude . He moves until he's standing upright before gliding his way down the all-too familiar journey to the cockpit. He just had to bang that thing shut. As he disappears, the sounds of conversation begin to dissolve and pitchy repetitive wailing grows louder.

Weeo weeo weeo weeo he sings in imitation of the radar. Placing his legs on the side of the wall he pushes himself forward, arm reaching out to swing himself above. He moved like a monkey, the acrobatics of space familiar to him and his body. Lifting himself into the oddly asserted small space of the cockpit, he emerges from behind one of the back seats. They made him strangely nostalgic. He remembers the first time you'd all seen them, drawing extreme admiration and awe from the sight. The interior had looked so professional, promising, futuristic...only now he knew how much it was lacking. 

The sad/happy memories flooding back made him hasty to to return to the group. It was fine if thing didn't work out. At least he'd gotten the chance to meet his hyungs and Y/N and he was willing to share his last moments with them. He wouldn't say his life had been well lived but the past two years had been unforgettable for him. Whatever it was that was triggering this radar be it a comet, a black hole, or a simple piece of garbage he was ready to accept the circumstances. 

But it was nothing like he'd imagined. What he saw as he looked out into space through the window was nothing like he'd imagined. This large, looming object, so large it took up half of the display was phenomenal. As he stared at it only one thing shot into his mind.

Blue.

Blue? you repeat to yourself. You turn towards where Jungkook had disappeared. The colour blue...what did that mean? He was seeing blue? What did that mean? He'd gone to switch of the radar...he would be in the cockpit right now, there was the control station and windows...he was seeing blue...he...

hardly functioning you turn blankly to the scene around. Jimin lying barely conscious on Taehyung's shoulder, Taehyung's head hung dismally. Namjoon's sunken, bloodshot eyes, staring at the wall opposite him...Jin's hollow cheeks, breathing uncomfortably due to excessive exhaustion...Hoseok half dead...starved, suffering, fear...

Blue.

"I think..." you say,

"this is the end."

[swipe uppp]