46: Feathers on Trucks

"So you're saying... that he's becoming a bird?"

You shake your head, sighing. Taehyung stands in the center of the cramped room as they all gawk at his new features, something you had done yourself not too long ago. You'd stopped for gas and a change of driver, both of which were problems risen by none other than Jung Hoseok. Now you were back on the road, with a stable Jin strapped into his seat and driving at a reasonable pace. The empty landscape had become more structured, the nature fading away into building blocks. It made you feel more assured and safe to have Jin behind the wheel. A certain calm had replaced the chaos. But all the chaos had reminded you of a third problem, one that still needed resolving and discussing.

Taehyung's wings.

"No," you say clearly. "He grew these wings."

"But h-how?" Hoseok seems to be the one who's the most frightened by new eagle Tae. You can't blame him. It is a bit of a shock, you had to admit. Also the way he had chosen to reveal it to you, all alone and cold...you had had no choice to freeze.

"I don't know, " Taehyung admits. "I know how you feel. I was terrified myself. I'd felt a slight itch in my back for a while now, but I didn't really think much of it. A bug bite or something harmless. And then one day... " He shudders as his wings flap for emphasis sending another cool rush about the room. Jimin's hair flies up past his forehead. "... I was taking a shower and... I saw these...large, black things."

Your heart squeezes a little in sympathy as you visualize this happening to yourself. You too would have freaked out.

"I think it's kinda cool, " Jimin says on the other hand, as his eyes sink in the details of those wings. In contrast to the reluctance in Hoseok's eyes, he has a sense of awe. The sort of different approaches on would get when looking at a roller coaster.

"But Tae," Jin begins tentatively. "Why did you hide this from us? It's a big deal, you know. And you've kept this a secret all this time?"

"I... uh, " He smiles a little sheepishly. "When I found out I thought something was wrong with me. And I wanted to figure out what was happening first, I thought it would go away. But it didn't and then I was afraid that... maybe..." when he's met with curious, sympathetic faces he relaxes more and spills the truth. "...I was different and you all would cast me away because of that."

Namjoon speaks at once. "Never." He promises, voice gentle. "We're all in this together."

"Well it's kinda creepy, " Hoseok says, leaning a little away. It was ironic the duality the man had within him, considering how he'd just put all of your lives in danger. "They're so large and strong. It's like you could hurt someone with that."

"They're actually really fluffy," You say running your fingers over his sleek black feathers. The touch reminds of the rush of the wind in your face and the beauty that had revealed itself to you up in the clouds. "And soft. They can take him really high up too. The view is just beautiful and color-"

"Wait wait wait," Jungkook speaks at once, catching your words. He whirls at Taehyung in sudden accusation, startling the man.

"You took Y/N for a flying ride?" Jungkook demands at once. The truth dawns on him as his eyes swim with confusion. He glares at Taehyung betrayed. "On your back? On your naked back?! She rode you?"

Yoongi snorts but smothers it at once, looking innocent when you shoot him a look.

"Not on my back," Taehyung attempts to reassure Jungkook in fear for complaints. He fumbles even further to find the right words to tackle the tide of response. "I carried her."