7: The Thing

"A fire? You're sure?" You hear the doubt in Namjoon's voice through the speaker phone.

"Positive," Hoseok replies, watching the swirling smoke. It looks ghastly, like some wafting form of a ghost poisoning the planet by it's presence. Against the gray, tufts of green and blue of the sky, this close black to hue ruins it all.

"I'm telling you," Taehyung begins randomly with a theory. "It's the radiation. The Earth is getting too close to the Sun."

Hoseok turns to Taehyung eyes wide in disbelief, looking ready to teach him a lesson and daring the other to argue back. His voice drips with sarcasm. They're obviously too fed up from spending too much time in the other's company. "How? How does that have to do with this? You think the Sun caused this random fire?"

"It's humans," you say, speaking clearly for the first time. "It has to be. It looks contained. If it were natural cause, it would blowing up wouldn't it?"

"Well let's go check it out," Jimin says hanging up on the phone and making his way back down to where Hosoek had parked the car. He freezes in his spot, looking up at the rest of you with a serious expression. "And to avoid death, Y/N will drive."

"Wh-what?" you exclaim, flustered by this sudden tag. "Why me?"

"'Cause Taehyung nor I can drive this thing. And it's more risky if we were to try it out right now on this mountain road, isn't it?"

"Yeah fine," you say, not wanting Hoseok to drive again either. Your driving skills weren't on par since you hadn't driven in quite a while but, you were confident that it would come rushing back you as soon as you got your hand on the wheel. "By the way," you point a Jimin's cellphone. "I want one."

"Sure," he replies, shrugging. With a sly smile, hand running through his hair he adds. "Anything for you, babe."

You scoff at his flirting as Hoseok bursts out laughing. Taehyung just pushes Jimin, prodding him to keep walking. "She can get that anywhere," he mutters almost irritated.

You slide into the driver's seat, finding it warm from where it was previously occupied by Hoseok's ass. Jimin slides into shotgun leaving Hoseok no other option but to join Taehyung in the back. Jimin helps direct you down this steep hill and across the green lawn back to the road.

Once you got onto the road, you suddenly realize why Hoseok had this thrill of going fast. The long, winding grey roads of the city were so flat and empty they were begging for action. You could imagine speeding over the highways, so smoothly with absolutely no worries in terms of any other vehicles or traffic lights or any other barriers. This road was yours. Every road was yours. You just had to choose one.

Resisting that urge, because you wanted to earn their trust, you drove reasonably through the gateways of Jimin's directions. Through the glass of the car you could see that wisp of dark coughing grey smoke grow bigger and bigger, until-

"Y/N."

"Ohmygod!" your heart jumps and you press on the brakes slowing down. You whirl around in your seat to glare at Park Jimin who was observing your reaction with an amused smile.

"Talk to me,"

"W-what?"

"Tell me about yourself,"

You scoff, a puff of hair leaving your lips amused yourself. Did he think this was a date or something?

"Why should I do that?" you say, slyly.

"Because I don't know anything about you," Jimin leans back comfortably in his car seat. "And I know everything about the guys. Like, what's your thing?"

You press your lips together. How were you supposed to tell him when you didn't really know yourself? Plus this wasn't story time or something, what did he expect you to say?

"My thing?"

"Yeah your thing, you know. Thing." He says like it's the most obvious thing in the world, flashing you a kind smile.

"I don't have a thing," you reply, confused,

"Everyone has a thing," Jimin persists, incredulous. He turns to you. "Like my thing is, dance. Before...all of this, I was in university. I was studying maths because that's what my parents wanted me to do but, maths isn't my thing. Dance is. The place had a studio and I'd go, put on some music and spin around."

You smile at his story, almost picturing his young life as he walked around, perhaps most popular kid in school for his looks because he was pretty cute and dancing his way to class. Running his hand through his hair as he solved problems waiting for the bell to ring for the time he could escape to that studio and be himself.

Unfortunately, your university life hadn't meant that much for you to remember any of it. Except, of course, your thing.

"So?" he asks.

"Jimin, how old are you?"

"Twenty three," he replies reluctantly, not expecting the sudden question. "Why?"

"No reason," you say, shrugging. "I'm twenty two. And my thing is writing. I like writing things, blogs, journals, papers, diaries, stories. I used to love chilling with a cup of coffee, especially on rainy days because that's when I felt like it the most. You have to stay indoors anyway. And I'd write for hours and hours into the night. It's always been my thing and I was pretty good at it. "

You turn for his reaction but he doesn't seem convinced. "Was?" he says, picking out the one word. "Why was?"

"Because..." you say, not really knowing why yourself. "There's no purpose in it anymore, I guess."

You drive right up the large steel gates that are wide open. A deep canal runs alongside the road outside this factory sort place, you haven't figured it out yet, for waste you suppose. You can see another car, a Hyundai Palisade if you remember correctly, parked outside.

"Careful with the turning," Jimin warns, looking in the rearview mirror, viewing the water beside the road worriedly. Poor man, living with Hoseok must have driving anxieties for every trip.

"I know how to Park, Jimin," you say, winking at your own play of words. This time it's his turn to look unimpressed. The car stops and the two men in the back tumble out at once, running eagerly off into the distance, like cowards who have just ended their rollercoaster ride.

Suddenly your door clicks open and you look up to see Jimin standing there, your car door held open for you as he waits impatiently. "You daydream a lot, do you know that?" he says, but not unkindly.

You slide off your seatbelt, slightly annoyed and get out. "I do."

"I'd say," he says, smiling slightly so his eyes become smaller. He pauses, thinking of what you said before saying, "there's all the more purpose for anything right now."

[hehe i hoped you liked it]

[omg speak yourself concert is lit]