101: Airplane pt 1

"Ready?"

You gulp, the nervousness in your body running at unhealthy rates. Your eyes scan over your own spacesuit over and over again, hoping you'd done everything right. Although you and Hoseok had spent all day yesterday studying the essentials as per the manuals you couldn't help feeling fidgety. You were feeling extremely hot as well and not just because of the layered material that had begun to itch nor the open sky dome. It was definitely extremely foreign to have the ceiling entirely bare, the sky blinking down at the eight of you despite being underground. The evil hole in the sky haunted you as if taunting the ship.

However, it was two hours of endless exercises and workouts that you'd all struggled through this morning that really had you dripping with perspiration. As Taehyung had insisted, you were all out shape and clearly not fit to go to space. That had lead to a horrible workout session that included laps of running, the jumping jacks, the push-ups and the hundreds and thousands of knee, thigh, and shoulder cramping exercises. Just thinking about it had you exhausted and sweating in your space suit.

It was kind of fun, actually.

Namjoon trails his pencil down a piece paper. He furrows his eyebrows, moving from the list back to the ship and back to the list again, face clouded in doubt. He was one who never hid his facial expressions thus it was easy to read what he was thinking. By the look on his face, your doubts heightened. He clears his throat trying to keep things strictly professional.

"Let's go through the checklist," he declares looking up. "I know we already did, but just to double check. Crystal clear confirmation."

Everyone nods in agreement, waiting patiently. You kinda hoped the checklist was long yet at the same time you didn't want to think there was so many things that could potentially go wrong.

"The rocket boosters...check...the engines of the orbiter...check...all fuel tanks? check. Solar panel cleansing, check, dried food packets..."

damn, it's actually happening.

You swallow again, realizing there is nothing more to swallow. Your throat is completely dry. The list went on and on and on, it was like a poetry recital. And the longer you stood there, listening, the more and more anxious you became. You fidget nervously with your suit, rubbing endlessly on the material as if that could ease your pain.

"All good," you hear Namjoon declare. He looks up from his list as if a little disappointed that there had been no imperfections or that it was over. He looks back down at the list, scanning through it again to make sure he hadn't missed anything. You had mixed feeling about it not sure if you wanted something to go wrong so you could stay here or that everything was good so you could get out of here.

He presses his lips together looking up again, then nodding his head as he crumples up the sheet. He might as well have crumpled your heart like that. He takes a deep breath, sighing out loud. "Well that's it," he says. The silence was endearing and he wished someone would speak up and cut the tension. "Here we go," he adds again, not sure of what to say anymore or how to prolong the next step. He didn't want to be the one to say the following words but if he didn't you'd all just be standing there forever.

You look around at each other, eyes scanning each member in the circle. Everyone was up in their suits, holding their helmets at the side like race-car experts. You bite your lip, missing the familiarity of normal clothing. After all, the astronaut suit: must be worn almost all the time. The tension exceeds its limit, peaking as no one says a word. You just look at each other, blinking mindlessly like robots, hearts pounding in a synchronized rhythm.

You look from one member to the next. Namjoon's serious face, chin jutted out, eyes shining with wisdom, silver hairs tucked behind his ear. Beside him stood Jin, broad shoulders prominent through the suit, face creased with utmost discomfort as he gulped, Adam's apple bobbing on his wide, thick neck. Then Yoongi, considerably shorter, trying to keep his cool but buzzing with his own inner war. He had the most lush skin and brown hair that brushed in front of his eyes. Hoseok, long face, long eyelashes, that sharp jawline that had grown even rustier with the few past days of undernourishment. Jimin, lips now chapping with the way he was chewing on them out of nervousness and then Taehyung, bristles of hair showing the formation of a moustache on his perfectly symmetrical face. Finally Jungkook, that rock shaped head which was seemingly outwardly confident but...you knew his thoughts too well.