20: The Treasure Trove

"Mint chocolate..." You say eyes narrowing in confusion.

You've talked for so long, you've lost track if the time. Forgetting you have a phone all you've been doing is passing hours and hours of walking through fields of grass and wheat and whatnot in conversation. You've discovered one amazing thing about Kim Namjoon and that is, that he is a wonderful listener. And to never get in a debate with him.. Because as talented as you may be training to be with with words, rhe man was a natural when it came to speaking when he got comfortable.

Whenever you came to a point of disagreement, you'd give the other a chance of three points to emphasize and somehow he'd manage to trick you into falling on his side and see his perspective.

"How do you do that? " You gaped at him at one point where you'd both been targetting each other on whether mint chocolate was a viable ice cream flavour or not. How you'd srumbled upon the topic, your train of thought cannot retrace. "I was so confident about it's taste. "

"It's facts, Y/N! " Namjoon had argued. At first where he'd seemed so much more formal and polite, the man had grown into a monster of a friend. So fiercely accepting and curious and mentalkg strong.

"Facts? It's an opinion, " You argue. "It's not fair, Joonie! You keep changing my mind, I don't even know what I like anymore. "

He chuckles softly. "When I was in school I had to deal with all sort of nonsense. And such troublesome kids. Even Jungkookie couldn't compete. "

"That's crazy, " You say, sympathetically. "Jungkook's on another level. It's like he's dealing with a war of hormones."

"He's not too bad, " Namjoon says, kindly. "He's gone through a lot, especially since That Day. But I'd not give any of my students an excuse like that. To control them, you'd need them to see eye to eye with you. "

"That's goddamn genius, " You mumble, fascinated. "You don't deserve wasting your life in some shitty classroom, Joon."

"Where then?" Namjoon says, nudging you playfully. "Will you take me in as your writing assistant, Y/N? "

"Is that even a question? " You grin back. "Never."

His face falls at once, not expecting such an abrupt refusal. "What? Why not?"

"Because you'd top me, pabo. "

He pauses suddenly in his, frozen. You stop beside him, wrinkling your brows. Had you said something inappropriate?

"What's wrong? " You ask.

"Nothing," He says, brushing it off as he starts walking again, trying to hide his grin. "Déja vu."

You almost trot to keep up with him. "Yah, Namjoon! Don't walk so fast~"

"Come on, " He says, pretending to be impatient. "There's a village up ahead. Maybe we can find some clues there? Look. If you'd stop staring at me with such admiration you'd see it. "

"Staring at you? With admiration? " You slap his arm and he makes an exagerrated "ouch" expression. "You spend too much time with Seokjin. "

"Well then maybe you should spend more time with me, instead " Namjoon says, winking. You smile softly, looking at him and then suddenly turning away as you think of his previous remark. You kick a stone, exposing your neck to the warm sunshine.

"I will."

The dirt path that you've both trodden leaving marked footsteos gives way to cobblestones that eventually piece together to form a village road. The landscape of crops and the smell of bees and butterflies and ripe harvests leads way to a variety of red bricked and thatch roof houses.