9: Sea

"Ahh, crabs!"

Hoseok's eyes go wide as he looks at the little crawling fiesty creatures. He jumps a little, afraid and Jungkook laughs. "Maybe we should take some home for dinner."

"Hyung will kill you," Taehyung punches Jungkook playfully. "And it's good to see you laugh Kook. You're always so sulky and guilty-looking I don't know who's more miserable, you or Yoongi hyung."

Jungkook makes an exaggerated face. "Okay I'm offended."

You breathe in the fresh air and run down to the edge of the beach where the sand becomes wet as it is kissed by the waves. You dip your toes into the fresh cold green water and shiver in delight. The entire ocean spreads out in front of you, a forever expansive blank yet beautiful view. Jimin sits down on the sand, sea breeze running through his hair, looking like one with the view. Taehyung and Jungkook start bickering, something to do with personalities in relation to the sea creatures and then it turns into chucking sand at each other.

Hoseok starts walking off into the distance, looking so done. "Kids," he murmurs. "Y/N, can you help me out?"

You grin, feeling a little sorry for the man but not bothering to mention that you are no older than the maknae line themselves. But as Jin previously mentioned, girls are more mature aren't they? You brush the grains of sand off your skirt and nods. "What do I do?"

"Walk off in that distance," he says pointing in the opposite direction. If it ha been any other occasion, this would have come off as a rude thing to say. "Just about a mile or so should do. Let's see if we can track down this burning."

"Didn't Namjoon say it came from above?" Jimin mumbles, getting up and catching up with you as he wasn't interested in the tactics of the two younger ones.

"I don't know," you shrug. "Why are you following me?"

"I'm not following you," he says, pouting looking a little hurt. "It's called walking with you. You never walk alone."

You smile a little at that, and put your hands in your pocket not saying anything. "Whatever," you mumble. "The more eyes the better."

"Think we'll find anything?" Jimin says, but his words don't sound too hopeful. You aren't feeling so hopeful either. Reviewing the plan and what has been collected so far, there's not much to say about the situation.

"I don't know," you say again. "I mean, you guys have driving around, exploring spots and drawing information and you don't know anything. Nothing. There's no evidence, no theory, no assumption nothing. What does that say?"

"Hey, we've got something interesting on now," Jimin reassures. " And it's only been like two months. I try to stay positive but...sometimes...I wonder. Maybe the reason we don't find anything is that there's nothing to find."

"What do you mean?" you say, surprised to hear something actually serious come out of Park Jimin's mouth.

"Once," Jimin begins, looking out at the waves as they come rolling in wearily. No strong, crashing waves, just calm sliding skins of water, caressing the beach and returning. Everything was way too peaceful. "I heard Jin hyung say to Namjoon 'maybe this is our fate. Maybe we were meant to turn out like this and live like this.'  I can't forget that."

"So you think this was all meant to be? The world was supposed to end with eight people?" You look at him incredulously. Such a depressing belief in from such a bright person. He was still so young, so much youth and joy in him and yet he was ready to settle down and say he was gonna live like this and then die. 

"I don't know," he ends up saying, repeating your words. "But as long as I have the guys, I feel like things will work out, somehow. I go with the flow."