16: Stargazing

"What you doing up here?"

You are suddenly disturbed in your space by a crawling monkey. The nest moves a bit unsteadily as new weight is applied and the eager man takes his place next to you. From way up here you have a great purple view. Because it's twilight, the greenish sky has given way to a sort of warm pink which is strange for the colour but you'd grown used to the strangeness of the new planet since That Day. And as this pink soon to turn into a dark night hue merged with the blue of the sea, a purple spray intertwined at the horizon.

Nature was truly fascinating and the purple comforted you somehow. It was a pleasant colour, and the soft bobbing of the ship, the sound of waves lapping the side of the boat and the rushing wind made a perfect scenery.

You don't reply, knowing you don't have to as Taehyung soaks in the view himself. You both sit in comfortable silence for a while.

"Ah, " He sighs content as he looks up at the sky. "It's been a long time since I've done this. "

You turn to him confused but then as you follow him gaze to the cluster of stars in the sky it suddenly clicks together what he's talking about.

Jimin is a dance student. Namjoon is a chemistry teacher, Jin is... Or... Was the father of three sons. Hoseok's a music producer. Yoongi was doing military service and you assumed Jungkook was also studying. Studying a girl's ass, more likely.

And Taehyung's thing, the most unique one of all... Was astronomy.

"You used to do this before?" You can't help asking. The way his eyes are lighting up as he looks at the sky is too magical for him to not have done so.

"Yeah, " Taehyung smiles. "Ever since I was a little kid. The stars always fascinated me and the planets and the moons and everything about the sky. Everything about it. My parents, I don't remember what they did but, they always supported me. "

He held up his hands using gestures as he continued. "When I was ten, my dad bought me a telescope. Nothing made me stray from it. Unfortunately, I think it broke at some time. Anyways, around the time that happened I was becoming too occupied at school to cost nights laying in the rooftop. "

Damn, you think. Taehyung's childhood was more romantic than your love life.

"After That Day I went searching for my parents because I thought they still may be alive. However I gave up soon enough, " Taehyung turns to you.

"You don't suppose they're out there?" You say a little hopefully for both you and him as you look at the plain expansion of sea.

"No, not anymore, " He sighs. "They're not down here anyway. They're up there."

Your heart melts. How young he is and yet so ready to move on and accept that his passed family has finally merged with the thing he's most passionate about.

You lean back on the mast, feeling soft hearted. A picture of an innocent, lost Taehyung walking around confused and lonely looking for his parents comes to your mind. Like a bird fallen out of the nest calling for its mama. The boy is such an angel. You can remember those first days for yourself too. You cried your eyes out, feeling so desperately alone. No one to hear you or comfort you or just be there.

It must have been like that for each one of them. Until they found each other.

Small stars start twinkling about through the gassy later in dots all across the sky.

"Do you like astronomy?" He answers with a question, suddenly.

"I don't know. I never thought about it. I find it interesting, " You admit. "I was too caught up in sniffing books and drinking cups of coffee with my drafts. All that took astronomy away from me. "