10: The Cave

"WHAT WHAT WHAT!"

Repeating yourself, you stumble over your footsteps to go and save the poor guy. You're terrified that something has happened to him or he's done something stupid. Or has he found something?

But what you thought was nothing to prepare what you saw.

The first thing that came to your head was ants. They were ants. Ant-like creatures. But big in size. They were like huge bugs, mouse-sized grasshoppers. Crawling about a large mound of earth that you knew only ants or termites could build.

"What on earth-" you begin, eyes going what. Unconsciously you move closer to Jimin, not knowing that out of the both of you, you were probably the braver one. He was froze in an expression of pure terror, eyes bulging and mouth open, muscles clenches as though his panicked body were deciding at this very moment between fight or flight.

You both just stood there. Staring. Staring endlessly with disbelief at this new discovery of species that you wishes you hadn't discovered. Was this even real? Were you hallucinating? Did the toxic gas up there in the sky finally get down to you? Or maybe this was the afterlife and you all had died after all. Or-

"Run."

You snap out of your thoughts, not sure if you heard correctly or not. He was still frozen but you were pretty sure it had been his voice th-

Suddenly, one of the weird black balled creatures, caught sight of you. It's eyes, greener than the sky, greener than the ocean, greener than the grass all about fixed itself onto yours, almost gleaming and boring into your pupils. You catch your breath, not daring to breathe as you stare back horrified yet glorified by the oddity and beauty of this animal.

Then it moves forward.

"Run goddamit run!" Jimin grabs your hand and before you know it, you feel yourself being whisked away. Stumbling over your own steps, you are dragged by this surprisingly strong man as he flees for his life, looking desperately around for refuge.

You follow him, suddenly scared by his actions and sprint into the nearest cave. Darkness hits you, causing you to go blind for a second and all you have is your sense of touch. You feel his hand, clamped over yours as he makes his way through the gloomy, damp cave and the sand going from dry to slightly wet underneath your feet. Having to stoop at first, the cave opens up giving you space to stand up a little and catch your breaths as they echo around the enclosed rock walls.

It's cold. A chilly, nice cold that blankets your body from the sweat and warm sensation of adrenaline that was circulating your blood. You move closer to him anyhow, for safety and for heat. His body flares up at once.

"Oh my god," he breathes. "D-d-did you see that?"

"Y-yeah," you say nodding your head. You replay the memory in you head, right from wherehe shouted, to the thorns pricking your skin, to those eyes...those emerald eyes that were so enticing. "Wh-what was that? You don't think we're dreaming do you?"

Suddenly you reach out, and slap him, not so hard, but strong enough for him to yelp out in astonishment, cupping his cheek.

"YAH!" he turns to you wildly, eyes clouded in betrayal. "What are you doing?!"

"Making sure."

"Of what?!"

"That this isn't a dream."

"Huh?" he glares at you, confused and angry at the same time not knowing how to react. "What? Slap yourself then!"

"I can't slap myself."