125: The Last Happiness

"I'm starving," Jungkook whines out loud and you wince as your hear his stomach grumble for the hundredth time that day. You look away from him, pouting. You were all hungry, especially since that evil mentalist Yoongi had made up all these conditions for survival. You try to ignore the own pain in your stomach knowing that after sometime you'd just feel a sort of emptiness. But as you look away your eyes land on Namjoon beside you busy chewing on some canned beef. The hierarchy of having food and not made you feel years poorer than him. 

Sensing your longing, he offers piece of meat to you, holding it close to your mouth with his chopsticks. You freeze suddenly at the sight of the juicy meat in front of you, before looking up at his kind expression. Was he tempting you, teasing you? You were thankful enough that you couldn't smell anything up here but the sight of food was torture enough when one was hungry. But Namjoon doesn't seem to have mean intentions. 

"Here," he speaks, when you don't open your mouth to accept his offering. He gesture it closer to you, persuasively as his dimples grow. "I can't see you suffer like that. I feel like a horrible brother."

Your eyes sparkle at that and you look at him, suddenly very emotional. You open your mouth and he pushes the meat onto your tongue smiling wider as he watches you chew happily, cherishing the taste and the offer of food. There had been firm decision that Namjoon of all people wasn't supposed to share any of his food with anyone for many reasons: intelligence required brain energy which required food, his strength could possibly be related to the amount of food he eats, he was malnourished anyway and would not be able to self-heal or survive without food. He'd become a sparkling figure in the group whose importance counted the most, and the leader needed to be strong in order to hold everyone together. 

And yet, Kim Namjoon couldn't stand watching his sister die of starvation. It made his heart rise with guilt and not only for not being by her side all the while but now, when he knew about her pain and had to ignore it. Some part of him rather that in the end, if it ever came down to it, he died instead of you. 

This is so unfair. 

You smile as chew, lowering your head in shyness and satisfaction. As Namjoon starts to feed himself again, Yoongi and Hoseok come to join the group by the packaged food. You swallow quickly to avoid being suspected but neither of them are looking at you. 

"It's the exact same," Hoseok reports at once. "An O'Neill cylinder. The model type may be a little outdated but there's no doubt it serves the same purpose."

"So it belonged to different spaceship?" Namjoon shoves rice into his mouth, a little bulge poking out of his cheek as he talks. "It's probably long gone by now then. Who would throw out a valuable cylinder like that?"

Hoseok doesn't reply as he stares at the way Namjoon shoves food into his mouth. He hadn't eaten all day and had only been given his share last night. It physically and mentally hurt him to watch the man eat like a king. Of all the people that were envious of Namjoon's luck, Hoseok stood first. He'd thought he'd gained a useful power but all that it had given him was numerous painful deaths and starvation. 

"Argh, stop looking at me like that," Namjoon complains at once, hating the new set of puppy eyes on him. "You guys were the ones that agreed to his plan. I can't give you any and you know that."

"I know," Hoseok looks away, sulkily, unable to bear the sight of the chewing and munching and swallowing. Yoongi decides to pick off where he'd left off. 

"That means Y / N was right," he says. "It's spacial garbage from civilization. It had to come from the direction of people."

"I don't know," you say, now contradicting yourself. After thinking about it for a while you realize you might have spoken a little quickly. "I mean, it could have floated a really long way."