99: In The Arms Of Death

You gasp at the sudden gravity drop. Light snaps out of your sight in a fraction of a second as you zoom downwards into the darkness. You squeeze your eyes shut, heart frozen with fear and clutch Taehyung ferociously. He winces.

"Ah Y/N not so tight," he pleads. You loosen a little, realizing you're almost digging the edge of the phone into his hollow collarbones. Peeping open an eye you realize he's not just dropping but descending softly, gradually. He's caught himself on his wings, air rushing through them as they beat gently as he's flying downwards and not upwards. The darkness wraps over the two of you, growing darker and darker until you can barely see him anymore. You swipe open the flashlight on the phone at once but it hardly helped to illuminate the walls of the vertical tunnel.

Thankfully, as you'd remembered it, the journey was not so far. Taehyung soon warns you of landing. "I think we're here, hold it a little upward." You obey his command, tilting upwards the angle of torchlight. Your heart stops.

The beam of the light catches out the bluish white outlines of the lab walls. Everything seems to form a shape right before your eyes. The blurry outlines of the tables, the chairs. Damp, stinky smelling papers droop over the wood that's cracked it paint off. Bits of what look like balls of cloth dot the place and glass has crashed over the floor. You can see something boxes and furniture knocked over on the further end and as you flash your torchlight about you can't help but cling on tighter to Taehyung again. It was like looking into a tunnel after the rain, or the lair of a tentacled aqua monster.

Y/N you're scaring me.

Oh, right. You were supposed to report back to the others. At the moment you didn't know what to say exactly. It didn't look like much had changed except many things were ruined and the lights were out. You didn't know if you should test it.

You wait a little for the response, knowing you didn't have to relay it in proper sentences. After what seems like a few seconds worth of discussion you hear his breathy voice whisper like ghosts in your mind.

You guys need to go in. Maybe try the light if it's not that wet down there.

Are you kidding?

Just head to the common room and take a quick look round. I mean, there shouldn't much more to see.

Didn't you hear my tentacle monster idea?!

Fighting!

You roll your eyes, shrugging him out of your mind. You switch back to reality, taking another glance inside and mentally preparing yourself for it. "Taehyung-ah," you say quietly, hearing him gulp not liking the tone of your voice. "Let's check it out." You feel the goosebumps travel down his back at that. He must be feeling cold being half-naked like that and being afraid as well.

"Yeah okay," He agrees quickly, knowing he was just wasting time complaining about it. "Get it over with. You keep a good lookout okay? I'm counting on you."

He holds you up higher on his back, wings sharp and unmoving in tense alert and not wanting you to get off. He needed your touch, and having you on his back made him a little reassured that he wasn't going to lose you and that he could easily escape as well. Just in case. He takes a deep breath and takes a step forward. As he begins to walk you die a little inside, right there.

Heart sinking you force to keep your eyes open, holding the phone light. Your ears are on sharp guard as well. Any little squeak or tiny noise makes the both of your heads flash in that direction at the moment with the beam of the flashlight ready to catch any suspicious behavior. You guys make your way down the by now well-known corridors. It's all the same, just a little more worn out, dank, gloomy and absent of life. Wires sprawl about the area, metal cups lay rusting away on the floor. The white walls seem to shine a little duller and the dust used to arouse as you walked about the place now stuck to the floor. It was a very uncomfortable sensation. You judge his shoulder in the direction of the switches, desperately wanting some light. In the dark it looked like the underworld of Stranger Things, a series you both knew well. He nods, hoping that it wouldn't cause an electric shock. The flood had definitely done some damage but the water seems pretty much dried out. For some reason you'd expected the place to be half underwater. Yet it didn't look like the lab had fallen under the course of the thrashing water.