30: Berries

"Hoseok, " You say his name gently as you join him where he's sitting.  Jin had fixed him up first thing using natural materials from the forest which you and Jungkook had encountered.  It really felt like all of you had jumped back an era because of this.  The difference in lifestyle between before and now was a gap bigger than a century.  He turns to you,  the fresh morning light sifting through his hair and moves over so you can sit beside him.  He's chewing on a few berries,  hands full of them and pushes a few of them into yours,  insistingly. 

"What's up? " He says positively though you know it's his mask. He'll always try and keep smiling no matter what has happened because he wants to be a good example for the younger ones just as Jimin feels he shouldn't be the cause of letting anyone down. 

"Nothing, " You shrug,  popping a berry into your mouth.  "I just wanted to say... Thank you. "

He raises an eyebrow.  "For what? "

You turn to him, suddenly feeling very emotional. Hoseok had injured himself trying to protect you. You don't know how, but when you'd gained consciousness, you'd found him hovering above you so protectively so the debris from the building above wouldn't tumble down onto you.

And here he was with the audacity to not care about such a feat. 

"You saved me, " You say clearly.  "You saved my life."

He chuckles a little,  nodding as if this was quite amusing. 

"I mean-i-... I could never repay you for that. You're just... Y-yo... "

"Hey hey hey,  don't cry now, " He says eyes widening.  He wraps an arm around you shoulder and pulls you close to him,  patting you gently as you fight the tears back. "It's okay.  You don't have to do anything. "

"B-but, " You murmur,  looking down.  He just had to be so nice all the time. So caring and gentle and reasonable and even though he was a little cranky with Taehyung he was still the golden hyung.  At least Jungkook and Yoongi or even Taehyung did not bother to hide their feelings.  They said what they wanted to,  regardless of the reaction.  Hoseok was too warm hearted for that.  A ball of sunshine,  all he wanted was to shine light upon the world even when the world was maybe coming to an end. 

He... He just-

"Hoseok I love you, " You say sweetly,  placing an affectionate kiss on his cheek.  He goes tense, not knowing what to do and you can feel the arm around you stiffen.  With this sudden confession shattering the innocent comfort of the conversation,  he was speechless. 

Heart beating fast he turned to you nervously.  "What?  Wh-wh-w-"

You look at him through your doe eyes,  confused suddenly as to what has broken his senses.  He's staring at you like you'd asked for marriage or something.  You couldn't find another way to thank him and truly,  you loved the man for being there for you.  Just like you loved them all.  They were like family. 

However,  he seemed to interpret it differently.

"I-" He begins slowly,  gulping. You watch his looming face, suddenly perplexed with how this had turned out.  You open your mouth to take back what you said but instead.... Find a pair of lips fit into the gap. Your cheeks flush at once as you panic, but he doesn't stay long. He puckers his lips softly against yours and you can feel the taste of his sweet berriness mingle with yours for a second. You press forward a little in return. Then just like that he pulls away,  a small friendly peck.

"God you're beautiful, " He whispers,  eyes darting about your features. "If I hadn't saved you back then,  I would be regretting it for the rest of my life. "

Something within you explodes.  Your insides have taken enough of this godly like angel showering you with enough love to turn your world inside out 

A small smile tugs on your lips.  A little dimple pokes up from his right cheek.  "Oh my!" You gasp.  "I didn't know you had dimples? "

"Yeah! " He says enthusiasticslly.  "Look I have two. " He makes a dorky face,  revealing his two little black holes curving by his mouth.

You fake an attack and clutch your chest.

He laughs,  squealing as he does so, like a hawk. So extra. Then he pushes the rest of the berries into your hand.  "Wanna play a game?"

You take the gist and pick one up. "Alright, " You say,  cocking your head to the side. He opens his mouth wide and you attempt to chuck one into his mouth.  It goes in neatly, and you high five him.  Turning to face him again you chuck another one.  He catches it easily again. 

"Aish this is too easy, " He mumbles,  biting down on the seed. He gets up and moves away from you,  so you follow him,  chucking berries into his open mouth,  grinning at the way he runs all about to catch them and then opening your mouth for his counter attacks.

"Yah,  you don't think these are poisonous do you?" He says mid game. Your stare at him in horror. He waits for a second and then grins before sticking his tongue out. "Just kidding!"

"Yah! Jung Hoseok,  you scared me! "

Finally,  you pop the last one into your mouth and collapse on the ground,  berry spits littering the ground.  He sits down next to your laying body,  holding his knees. 

"I won. " He claims proudly.  You punch him playfully. 

"Hey Hobi, " You say suddenly. 

"Mm? "

"Do you believe... That... Yoongi..." His face drops.  You can't help it.  You couldn't stop thinking about Yoongi,  where he must be now and how alone... All alone he was.  He needed someone just like you all did.  You remember what Jin said the first time you'd met. 

Human beings need other human beings.

"... That he'll,  come back?"

Hoseok sighs, presses his lips together.  His next words never leave you.

"I don't believe,  I hope. "