78: Fire

Before Jungkook can even answer or for the matter, react to what you'd just confessed, a large scream comes echoing through the dense wood of the forest. The sound of bushes being torn apart, of feet crunching over leaves and thumping footsteps ransack the forest around you. Every hair on your body stands on end as you and Jungkook subconsciously move closer together for safety and comfort. You look around in all direction, heart beginning to pound like a ready emergency mechanism. You clutch your own clothing as you try to identify the noise. And then you hear it.

"WHO THE FUCK LEAVES A FIRE UNATTENDED IN A FOREST?"

You and Jungkook turn to each other at once, the guilt reflecting in your expressions. Shit, shit, shit....what was going on? What happened? Did the others wake up? That...that had been Yoongi's voice no doubt.

Suddenly, a waft of light smoke sucks up into your lungs. You cough lightly, inhaling again. The scent of smoke, fire smoke as evident for sure. You raise your nose, sniffing more intently. Squinting your eyes you look about as if to identify where the smoke is coming from? But that had already been answered by Yoongi.

It was your fault. You two had just left that fire crackling and walked off in the woods. One of you should have stayed back and kept a watch or let it die first. With the forest floor drying as the flood settled over and the air got humid over the night, you'd just been inviting a situation like this. You breathe faster, suddenly very concerned. If that innocent campfire had gotten large where were the others?

"HYUUUUNG!" Jungkook suddenly screams so loud, scaring you out of your wits. You jump, and turn to him, as he screams out again. He grabs your wrist and rushes forward at once, as you're still standing there rooted to the spot by your own overwhelming mistake. "We have to find them."

You stumble behind him, wincing as you half limp behind him. You were hurt from being flung across the room by a sleeping Yoongi, exhausted from almost drowning, from the panicking fear and mental hurt of watching Hosoek die in front of you. Already following Jungkook out here (and you were still rethinking that decision) and now you had to run out again? You were too weary to do so, so instead of jogging behind him up to pace you were rather being dragged by him as he attempted to find the other boys.

"JUNGKOOKIE? Y/N???"

The calls of the others only seemed to enhance the urgency to reunite with the others. He pushes forward faster, causing that sharp pain to pierce through your side again as you half follow him. He notices your slump and stops sharply whirling around to look at you. You look back at him weakly, but not wanting to seem a burden to him.

"I'm fine-" you begin at once but he lets go of your wrist, grabbing higher up at your forearms and yanking you closer into him. He doesn't even look that concerned anymore, he looks angry and restless. You didn't know if it was the prickliness in the atmosphere, or the growing the temperature, the dark night, or the fact that you were only in your sports bra or perhaps all of it together, but that was somehow hot. Your body inches from his, he stares down at you, or rather glares down at you, unable to wait any longer.

"Stop saying bullshit," He cuts you off irritated. "Just this once, Y/N, let me carry you. On my back at least. You can't run and we don't have time."

Speechless you look at him, as if wondering to trust him. You don't even realize but before you know it you have already consented with a slight nod. This Jungkook was totally different from the one you'd witnessed moments ago. This Jungkook did not ask, he demanded.

He did not hesitate. He crouches down a little at once, and you climb up onto his back. He arms ago under your butt at once hoisting you up so roughly that you wrap your arms around his neck at once to steady yourself. The feeling of being carried piggy back was a familiar one; it reminded you of when Jimin carried you that day. How different the scenarios had been. Back then it had just been an innocent bet, racing on the beach and laughing with fun.