71: A Wounded Angel

[Taehyung POV]

As he rose higher in the sky, Taehyung couldn't help feeling weighed down. He'd already flown back and forth two times now and this was his third chance to find the others. He couldn't give up and he wouldn't, he obviously wouldn't but he wished that someone else could be him and do it instead. Why did it have to be him? This ability was not just a power, it was a curse.

He looks down into the thrashing flood below. No flood acted like this. It was like a strip of the sea broke off and was now flowing endlessly through the forest crashing through the brush. It was nearly impossible to see anybody among all the debris floating about in the water. He shuddered, unable to imagine what it must have been like to drown and thrash about for your life in that water. Y/N had been struggling for all her life, he'd seen her because she'd made so much movement and Hoseok-

Taehyung squeezes the tears out of his eyes as he keeps going, willing himself to believe that they were only the cause of wind. Hoseok. First...floating about on the sea barely visible. His lips tremble as he'd recalled calling his name over and over again to no avail. No response. When he'd finally hauled Hoseok out of the water and held him and felt the slimy cold skin against his, he'd known at once. Yoongi and Y/N's faces when they discovered the truth themselves. A tear escapes him. Hoseok hyung...was dead? He could hardly believe it. He remembers how seconds before all of this Hoseok had called for him desperately to come down from the skies. But the gushing water that was racing towards the three of you had been too much of a shock for Taehyung to comprehend two things at once. He wishes he'd listened to Hoseok. The last words he'd heard uttered from his lips was Taehyung's own name and he felt all the more guilty for that. He couldn't be dead...he just couldn't. He wouldn't believe it.

Yoongi would save him. At all costs. He had to. But what if he coul-

CRASH! Intense pain floods through Taehyung's body. The world spins a little and he tries to regain his balance. However he's unsteady as if walking drunk through the air and he wobbles up and down, side to side quivering. The pain floods through into his right shoulder and he lets out a groan looking up to see in front of him leaves and what looks like jutting branches. A tree? He'd crashed into a thorny tree?

He suddenly drops through the air. Falling. Taehyung beats his wings furiously and the pain screams into his soul, sharply piercing into his back. He turns his head slightly, afraid, as he shakes about in the sky. The sight of red on black fills his body with panic. Blood. Pure, red, blood. He'd never seen his black wing look so tainted. What on ea-

Suddenly, Taehyung falls fiercely from the sky, his wings unable to coordinate. He goes mad with fear of drowning into the water below him especially with large feathery wings like these that could bear him down to the bottom of the flood. He tries to flap one wing by itself, never having done so before. Sweating with the effort Taehyung lets out a yelp at the burning pain again as he slowly, lowers himself onto land. However, the last few meters to ground he slips, unable to hold on any longer and collapses, falling like a struck angel, plummeting into hell.

THUD! His body hits the hard forest floor, and a new, fresh, more pungent sort of pain resounds through his entire front. On his back, feathers fall like snow to the ground accompanied by drops of blood. He scratches the soil, feeling completely helpless. He could so easily give up. Wounded, hurt and unable to help anyone. He was far from the others as well.

Taehyung lies there for a while, resting on his stomach as if accepting his fate. He lets the pain throb and his body ease into it. His wing touches the ground, useless stretching out like the side of a plane against him. For the first time he realizes just how strange he was to have this feature. It had become so normal for him and or the others that he hadn't noticed just how abnormal it was.