57: Our World

You let out a frustrated noise.

"I don't get it!" You say aggravated. "There's B.I.G.H.I.T in each one of these books but it doesn't make any sense? It haunts me. What does it even mean?!"

You close the next book, sliding it over to Namjoon's pile which is growing increasingly taller. He takes more time as he passes through the pages, obviously understanding something from these weird numbers and drawings. Books were not supposed to be like this. They had stories and life, not analytical theories and antithesis and explanations. The explanations themselves were more complicated than the arguments and the evidence given was way past your field of knowledge. All these books belonged in the science sector, something you strayed far from.

And now you were regretting agreeing to help Namjoon sort through all these boring textbooks. You look over to where Jungkook is opening boxes and spilling its contents. It consisted mostly of small machinery which were catching rust and lizards and bug dung.

"Hey hyung, can you come with me to the bathroom," Jimin small fingers clutches Jin's sleeve and tugged on them.

"Huh?" Jin set down the keys in his hand. Yoongi, with the help of another ghastly creature had found keys that could possibly open the few doors in this place. They were all tightly locked and Jin had spent patient hour trying each key into the keyholes. He turns to Jimin, as his calm collected vibe is interrupted.

"I don't know where the bathroom is, and it's creepy and strange down here." He leans forward as he confesses quietly. "I don't want to go alone."

"And you're asking me?" Jin raises his eyebrows. "I'm just as scared of this damn place." He nods his head towards Yoongi who at the moment is experiencing the same life-crisis and annoyance as you. He bangs impatiently on the lock of a certain rusted box with a steel pipe, trying to get it to open. Rarely used muscles flexing as he swings back to crash his pipe down onto the lock, he groans in exasperation.

Jimin turns back to Jin shaking his head violently. "No no no...he's scarier than the place itself."

Jin's eyes turn into crinkles as he bursts out laughing, wiping clean every glass surface of dust. "That might be true."

"Namjoon," you look at him, eyes shimmering with pleading and desperation. "Please tell me you at least have a lead. Or you understand something. You're into this stuff right."

He looks up at you, a little hesitant to reply. He bites his lower lip, uncertainly, as he looks back down at the book he was currently inspecting. "Well, it's a bit difficult to understand. It's mostly physics and about matter a-and." He pauses, eyebrows furrowing as he tries to remember. "There was something about gravity and outer forces? And some drawings...that looked like greenhouse experiments but again..."

He opens the book again to show you the dog-eared yellow pages. "It's pretty moth eaten."

You bury your face in your hands. "Please tell me they're back with the food at least," you mumble into your fingers. You look through them towards the circle that you'd marked with chalk above which was the large hole towards normal ground. The entrance to this place. Taehyung and Hoseok had left to get food as Taehyung couldn't help sneezing and frightening everyone and Hoseok had offered to go with him to avoid the sight of such an unclean place. You'd never known he cared that much about being neat.

Jungkook's stomach had announced it's hunger long before you'd gotten started which had reminded everyone that this had been a hunt for food and a failed one at that. Taehyung had immediately been a candidate to go and fetch some as he was the one who could fly out of the place.

Namjoon stands up with a finality, exaling deeply. "I need a break. All of this is making less and less sense the more I go through it."  You stand up agreeably, stretching as you sigh. You wonder what time it is, or even what the weather and sky looks like outside, above ground. You would have been claustrophobic down here if the place wasn't so big. Perhaps it was designed like this for that reason.