100: The Last Day

[i can't write this chapter]

Jimin flips the cloth again, sighing. Craning his neck once more he rubs vigourously on one of the engines, wiping the sweat off his forehead. He'd been at it for hours and as much as he'd like to complain he knew that everyone was also working on the touch-ups of the spaceship. Everything had to be gone over twice or even thrice and little things were worth fretting about, things such as wiping the wings and rockets to clear from dust, rust, anything that could cause any malfunctions. The annoying part was that it was his job to do it and he'd taken the shift over from the younger boy who, after working the entire morning, believed he'd mastered the art.

"Hyung," Jungkook approaches him, frowning a little.

"He's here again, he's here, he's here," Jimin mumbles under his breath as Jungkook squats down beside him, checking Jimin's work. Jungkook frowns, wiping his hands on his thighs as he examines Jimin's work, before pointing upwards. "Don't just stay too much right here. You're missing all of this. You see right here? These little cracks? You're missing all of this."

"Don't worry," Jimin assures him, gritting his teeth, thinking about how he'd like to give Jungkook the biggest slap of his life.

Jungkook points wordlessly at you, Jimin's partner for the job. You were too caught up in your own personal discomforts to care about their arguing.  "She's younger than you and she's doing a better job."

"Hahah I should worker harder too then shouldn't I?" Jimin snaps at Jungkook sarcastically. Taehyung walking by with the toolbox laughs out loud at the drama boiling up in front of him, even more amused by the fact that Jimin was once again getting nagged over by Jungkook. 

"Ji-mi-nie pa-bo."

"You know what?" Jimin stands up with a forced smile, thighs cracking from the strain. "I think we should all take a break. We've been at this forever and I'm afraid some of us may just collapse or... die." He glares at Taehyung and Jungkook menacingly but is backed up immediately by you. You grasp the opportunity, wanting to break free from the stressful work yourself.

"I agree. It looks pretty good so far," you throw the cloth over your shoulder, slapping the muck away from your hands before turning to check on the progress of the others. "You guys have refueled it again haven't you?"

Hoseok gives you a thumbs up as Yoongi does a little cat stretch and yawn to shake off his stiffness and tiredness.

"Yeah" he nods after loosening up. "Let's wrap this up and get out. I want some fresh air." He look around him at the little untidiness around the room.

"If there's anything pending we'll do it after we've cleared our heads," Yoongi suggests but Namjoon shakes his head. 

"No, it's all done, I think" he counts down his fingers with the mental task list.

At those words, Jimin balls up the rag, stomping it across the ground as he moves across the room earnest to get out of the teasing atmosphere that had built up from the very first hour of working. He wanted air, solidarity and something to calm him down. You follow behind, wiping your hands on your pants a little curious by his sudden energy.

You'd spend all day living, breathing, working through these damp, paint-peeling walls. Touch-ups, check-ups, repairs, refilling, tests and above all endless amounts of re-reading and re-reading not wanting to miss out any detail. Everyone had really worked their every last brain cell into this project, despite not knowing anything about it. Namjoon had got his glasses on, thumbing through those pages and shifting massively heavy objects in and out of the ship as Jin prepared food, de-liquidising them into small packets, packing up the canned food and filling up huge water tanks. You'd watched Yoongi clean, identify, repair and scan over every single item aboard, outside and within the ship. His eyes had seen every inch of that large metallic vehicle twice or perhaps even thrice that it had been enough to aid Hoseok in control board, the engine boosters, the take-off and importantly all the safety procedures Namjoon had fished out for them. Jimin and Jungkook had together dived into those depths shifting sleeping bags, books, cables, radars and tons of other necessary equipment into the black hole of the interior, designing it to perfection and importance before you'd joined them to wipe out dust, rust or anything harmful that could cause malfunctions at the wings or outer surfaces. Taehyung had worked his butt off inspecting the take-off sight opening the dome, fuelling the rockets and above all studying the math of that hole in the sky that seemed the only aim out of here. The technical part had been the one with more uncertainty as there were all these little functions that performed their tasks and having to trace the trail from one stage to another had taken up a good forty-five minutes in itself. Honestly, a break was the least you deserved for slaving like robots and you were so glad to have completed the entire project. Everyone was more emotionally rather than physically drained with all the science.