The Van der Linde Gang: Family Part 5

The van der Linde gang & Teenage Female Reader

Summary: For a birthday present, the gang decide to get you a horse of your own.

Word Count: 1500

You rode into town with Dutch, Hosea, Arthur and John. You were riding on the back of Dutch's horse, something that you won't have to be doing for much longer.

It was your birthday and for your gift, they had decided to finally get you your own horse. You had wanted a horse for a while, ever since you had learnt how to ride a long time ago. Dutch had finally caved in and decided that you should have your own horse now.

The five of you rode up to the stables in town before dismounting your horses and hitching them outside. You all walked into the stables and were shown the three horses that they had for sale by the stable's owner.

This shopping trip had managed to turn into become more complicated than it should have been, which wasn't very surprising with this gang.

Arthur liked the grey Kentucky Saddler, he had just been drawn to the animal. It was rather sweet actually. He stood by the stable, running his hand over their mane.

John liked the chestnut Morgan, he kept saying that you should get this one and name them Arthur. The real Arthur was not amused by this, he just rolled his eyes while John laughed to himself.

Hosea had even made a similar joke about the Seal Brown Dutch Warmblood. Dutch just gave him a tight lipped smile before rolling his eyes at the older man.

Instead of actually responding to Hosea, Dutch just walked over to the stable owner. You paid no attention to them as you petted the horses. Dutch spoke with the stable owner before walking back over to you with a smile on his face, and the stable owner left the stables.

"You don't need to worry about picking a horse, I've already chosen one for you" Dutch assured you with a smile, looking pretty happy with himself.

"Dutch, seriously? I'm sure I can choose my own horse" you rolled your eyes but you couldn't help but chuckle slightly.

"Yeah, I think she can manage that" John chuckled, coming to your defensive.

"Trust me, you'll like this one" Dutch promised you. You hummed quietly, you knew that Dutch wouldn't get you something that he didn't think was worth it. You knew that he must have made a good choice, so you nodded at him, making him smile.

The four of you walked away from the other horses, standing with Dutch when you decided to give the horse that Dutch had chosen a chance. Only seconds later, the stable owner walked back in, guiding a horse in behind him. He handed the reins to Dutch, letting the five of you get a better look at the horse before leaving you all be.

"He's a Black Chestnut Thoroughbred" Dutch told you as you stepped towards the horse. You smiled and stroked your hand over the horse's forehead, down to his nose.

"You're right, I love him" you told Dutch with a smile. You would never tell him this, but Dutch was often right about things. You would never tell him that because he always thinks that he is right and you can't let him keep living in that fantasy. But in this case, he was right, the horse was perfect.

"I knew you would" Dutch smiled as he placed his hand on your shoulder, using his other hand to stroke of the horse's mane.

"Ain't that a bit expensive?" Arthur asked, he hadn't expected you to be getting a thoroughbred but it wasn't news that Dutch liked to spoil you.

"Yeah, I've been putting some money aside for it. I knew that Y/n wanted a horse and I wanted to make sure that she got the best" Dutch smiled, assuring the other men that they had the money.

"You are the best" you smiled before turning around and wrapping your arms around Dutch's waist.

"Hosea, pay the man" Dutch ordered with a smile as he returned your hug, wrapping his arms around you. Hosea just chuckled to himself before getting the money from his pocket and handing it over to the stable owner. "I also saved enough money to get you a good saddle and everything else you need" Dutch told you as you both pulled away from the hug.

"See, you are the best" you smiled up at him, not able to stop smiling as Dutch patted you on the back. The stable owner took the money and nodded at the five of you before getting out of your way.

"Go on then, let's get back to the camp" Dutch clapped his hands together before gesturing towards your new horse, telling you to ride it back to the camp. You just grinned before mounting your horse and taking the reins in your hands. "Then we can talk about the new rules" he told you, casually, as the five of you started to leave the stables.

"Rules? You're joking, right?" you asked, looking down at him in disbelief. You thought all of these rules were meant to be decreasing not the other way around!

"Not at all" Dutch smiled up at you, even though he knew that it was annoying the hell out of you.

"You're a real buzzkill, Dutch" Arthur chuckled to himself as the four men mounted their horses.

"Shut it, Arthur" Dutch warned and you just laughed at the two of them, as the five of you rode back towards the camp.

Once you all got back to the camp, you all dismounted and hitched your horses. As the five of you walked back into the camp, going your separate ways, Kieran walked over to your new horse, smiling as he ran his hand over their mane.

"So, what are these rules?" you asked with a sigh as you followed Dutch into the camp, sitting down at one of the tables while Dutch remained standing.

"The first rule is, no riding at night at all. Even if you have somebody with you. It's more dangerous in the dark, even for us. Unless it's an emergency and I tell you too, of course" Dutch told you. Okay, that wasn't a ridiculous request. You could deal with that.

"I guess that's fine, I don't know where I would go of a night anyway" you nodded, maybe this wouldn't be too bad.

"Also, this shouldn't be much of a surprise. No riding alone, you have to have somebody with you at all time. Just like when you are going into town or leaving the camp at all" Dutch told you.

"Annoying but not surprising" you sighed and rolled your eyes. "Look Dutch...I thought we talked about this. You said that you would start treating me more like an adult, that means being able to leave the camp without a bodyguard. You said you would allow that, remember?" you asked. The pair of you had talked about this before and he promised that he would treat you more like an adult, was he really going to go back on his word?

"You're right, you're right" Dutch sighed as he sat down beside you. "I just want you to be safe. How about a compromise? You can leave the camp during the day but you have to be back before it gets dark, and you have to tell me where you are going" he suggested. You knew that he was just worried about you so you couldn't really be mad at him.

"...fine, that sounds fair" you nodded, smiling at him. "Any more rules that I should know about?" you asked, hoping that this was the end of it.

"No, that's all...for now" Dutch assured you, nudging your shoulder with his, and you just chuckled. "I'm just going to make sure that Kieran knows to tend to your horse" he patted your shoulder before standing up.

"Of course he does, just don't scare him too much" you pleaded playfully. Dutch just smiled at you and lent down to press a kiss to your forehead before going to talk to Kieran.

You stood up to walk away but turned around when you heard somebody call your name. "Y/n!" a familiar Irish accent rang through the air. When you turned around, you saw Sean walking over to you with a bright smile on his face.

"Yeah?" you asked as you raised an eyebrow at him, already amused.

"I just saw ya horse! How about I race ya into town?" Sean suggested with a mischievous look in his eyes.

"Oh, you're on" you smiled brightly at him before you both started running towards the horses.

As the pair of you passed Dutch, the older man just sighed to himself. Sometimes you were trouble but you were completely worth it, he wouldn't change a thing about you. Anyway, if you and Sean got into any trouble, Dutch would just blame Sean.

Requests?