Charles Smith: Rest

Charles Smith X Female Reader

Summary: You have been working a little too hard recently, Charles takes it upon himself to get you to just rest.

Word Count: 1000

It was no secret that you haven't been sleeping well recently, in fact you had barely been sleeping at all. The gang had been so busy recently and that meant that you have been busy as well.

Charles could see that you were wearing yourself out, he could see that you were doing more harm to yourself than good for the gang. So, he decided to try and help you take your mind off of everything in anyway he could.

He had asked you to go hunting with him and you accepted his offer, happy to take your mind off of the gang and to spend time with him.

The two of you had been hunting all afternoon. Charles made sure that you both took your time so that you could try to relax and you found that you were actually relaxing. Riding through the quiet scenery, sharing conversation with Charles that didn't revolve around the gang and their problems, it was all just putting you at ease.

You had both managed to get some rabbits but decided to try for a deer before heading back to the camp.

You both dismounted your horses and crept closer to where you had seen a deer drinking from the river.

"Hmm, there's only one...you want to get it?" you asked, knowing Charles was the better hunter anyway so he would have more luck with actually hitting the deer.

"Sure" Charles nodded, offering you a small smile as he raised his bow.

You smiled softly as you watched Charles focusing, lining the arrow up with the deer. You lent back against a tree and you tried to continue watching him but you could feel your eyelids growing heavier by the second. It was quickly getting more and more difficult to keep your eyes open. You knew that your lack of sleep was starting to catch up with you now that you were finally relaxing.

Charles looked down his bow but glanced over his shoulder at you before he went to shoot the deer. He couldn't help himself when he saw you, he just started laughing to himself as he lowered the bow again. The soft sound of Charles' laugh made you jump slightly, your eyes shooting open.

"What?" you asked, glancing around to collect yourself and remind yourself where you were.

"You fell sleep standing up" Charles informed you, an amused smile on his face.

"Damn...I'm sorry" you apologised, rubbing your eyes quickly before pushing yourself away from the tree.

"You don't have to apologise for anything" Charles assured you, chuckling to himself again. "Come on, the deer just ran off. We can set up a camp just up there" Charles told you as he put his bow away on his horse, gesturing towards a secluded spot among the trees. Perfect for a small camp.

"We aren't going back to the camp?" you asked, your brow furrowing in confusion.

"You need to take a break. You've been working too hard recently, you've barely slept. No wonder you managed to fall sleep while standing up. I'm surprised I even got you to come hunting for the afternoon" Charles sighed, shaking his head as the pair of you walked over to where you were going to set up camp, guiding your horses behind you.

"So this was all some sort of plan?" you asked, raising an eyebrow at him accusingly.

"I guess you could say that" Charles nodded, smiling at you again.

"Sneaky" you teased before laughing, making Charles laugh a long with you. You had to admit that appreciated that he cared enough to go out of his way to help you out. This is just one of the many reasons why you love Charles.

You and Charles set up a small camp and built a campfire, the camp seemed cosy despite being out in the open. I was getting dark now and you were both sitting in front of the fire, keeping warm.

"Thanks for this Charles, I really needed it" you smiled as you lent into him, resting your head on his shoulder.

"You've got nothing to thank me for, I just want to help you take care of yourself. I care about you, I don't want to see you destroying yourself" Charles spoke softly as he wrapped his arm around you, holding you closer and warming you up some more.

"I love you" you murmured as your eyes fluttered closed and you relaxed in his embrace.

"I love you too" Charles smiled, kissing the top of your head.

You couldn't hold back the yawn that escaped you as you rubbed your eyes, trying your best to keep them open.

"Stop forcing yourself to stay awake. You've been working so hard, please just sleep" Charles sighed, gently squeezing your shoulder in an affectionate manner.

"Fine, fine, you're right" you nodded, giving in.

You pulled away from Charles and moved over to your bedroll, smiling to yourself when you saw him moving with you. He lay down on the bedroll with you and pulled you closer to him, letting you lay against his chest. You sighed contently as you cuddled further into his warm embrace.

"I don't know why you've been treating yourself so poorly recently. You have to take care of yourself. That means sleeping instead of running jobs all day and night" Charles spoke gently as he held you and you just hummed in acknowledgement, knowing that he was right but being too tired to actually respond. "You need to learn to take breaks and pace yourself. I don't want you wearing yourself out completely" he finished and kissed the top of your head.

You smiled and cuddled into him some more, feeling him wrapping his arms around you more securely. As Charles started humming a gentle tune, you relaxed absolutely. It then didn't take long for you to fall asleep.

Charles knew that you had fallen asleep when he felt your breathing steady out. He stopped humming and just smiled to himself, glad that you were finally relaxing. It had been paining him to see you working yourself to death. He gently ran his fingers through your hair as he shifted closer to you, if that was possible, and fell asleep as well.

Requests?