Kieran Duffy: Fear of Horses

Kieran Duffy X Female Reader

Summary: Kieran offers to help you overcome your fear of horses.

Word Count: 1800

You walked over to Kieran with a bowl of stew in your hands, thankful that he had stepped away from the horses to work on a saddle.

"Hey Kieran" you smiled as you approached him, making him look up at you from where he was sitting.

"Oh, uh, hey Miss L/n. Can I help you with something?" Kieran asked, fumbling with the saddle. You thought that shy and nervous nature was adorable and definitely endearing but you wished that he would relax, at least when he was around you.

"Kieran, I told you to stop calling me that. Y/n is fine" you reminded him, preferring him to just act more casual around you. "Anyway, I just wanted to bring you this" you told him as you held out the bowl of stew.

"Why? I mean, thank you but...why?" Kieran asked as he took the bowl from you.

"You haven't eaten all day and I know that you don't going into the camp to get it, so here you go" you smiled and gestured towards the bowl.

"Thank you" Kieran smiled. You loved when he smiled, it looked good on him.

You jumped when you felt something nudge, strong but not rough, against your arm. You took a step back when you turned and realised it was Kieran's horse.

"Oh don't worry about Branwen, he's friendly" Kieran assured you, noticing that you were weary around the animal.

"Uh yeah, I know. I mean, he's your horse so it makes sense" you nodded but stepped away again, just getting out of the horse's reach.

"Are you alright, Y/n?" Kieran frowned a little bit, hearing the nerves in your voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine" you smiled but Kieran wasn't convinced, he was actually pretty sure that he knew what was going on.

"I...I don't mean to pry or nothin' but are you afraid of horses?" Kieran asked. He has worked with horses long enough to know the signs of somebody being afraid of them.

"Is it really that obvious?" you asked, looking down at the ground as a light blush stained your cheeks. You had always been a little embarrassed about your fear but even more so around Kieran since he loved them so much.

"I guess I'm just used to seeing it. Y'know I've been working with horses all my life, a lot of people are afraid of them actually" Kieran assured you, not sounding judgemental in the slightest.

"Been afraid of them all my life, I don't really know why. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to be around them all day" you confessed.

"I could help you...only if you want! I've helped people get over their fear of horses before, I could help you if you'd like" Kieran offered, his nervousness returning.

"You'd really do that for me?" you asked, your eyes widening slightly.

"Of course" Kieran nodded, hoping that you would accept his offer.

"Sure...thanks Kieran. I've got to go and help Karen with something right now but I could meet you later?" you suggested.

"How about tomorrow morning?" Kieran asked.

"Sounds good. See you then, Kieran" you nodded at him, still smiling at you walked away.

Kieran smiled brightly to himself as he started to eat the stew you had brought him. He was just overjoyed about being able to spend some time with you, it was the perfect excuse. Not only did he get to speak with you more, he got to help you with something.