Charles Smith: Leader of the Pack Part 2

Charles Smith X Female Reader

Summary: The gang collapses, the pact gets separated, you and Charles part ways. Everything is falling apart, can anything be put back together?

WARNING: I know I've changed the order of events for somethings or just changed things from the canon but...shush, that's what fanfiction is about. (Love me some plot convenience). Also, angst?

Word Count: 2300

Arthur sighed, giving in and deciding not to argue with Charles, maybe he was right. Charles had decided to stay with the Wapiti Indians and to help them move somewhere safer, Arthur had offered to join him but he refused. Charles believed that the gang needed Arthur, needed him to help them before Dutch got them all killed.

You had overheard their conversation and could already feel the lump forming in your throat, you would be saying goodbye to someone today. You just didn't think it would be him.

Arthur walked away, heading to his horse to ride back to the camp, and you walked straight over to Charles.

"I'm coming with you" you insisted, not leaving much room for argument.

"No, the gang needs you" Charles shook his head, definitely surprising you.

"What? No. They have Arthur, they'll be fine" you frowned. You couldn't just leave him.

"We both know that Arthur isn't doing well, he needs you too. There a good people in that camp, you need to make sure they are alright" Charles reminded you, placing a hand on your shoulder.

"Charles, I can't leave you" you shook your head, refusing to believe that this was happening.

"It's how it has to be, at least for now" he told you. You didn't know how he could be so level headed about this, but you could still see the pain in his eyes.

"So...this is it?" you asked, still in disbelief. All of this pain and now you were giving up the one thing you felt a need to hold onto.

"We'll meet again, I promise" Charles cupped your face in his hands, resting his forehead against yours.

"I love you, Charles" you whispered, your eyes closing as you tried to hold back the tears. One of the wolves nudged at your knee, another one whimpering in confusion. They knew that you were sad, they knew that something was wrong.

"I love you too" Charles whispered back before capturing your lips in a loving and lingering kiss. "Now go" he sighed as he hesitantly pulled away from you.

You nodded and just like that, you parted ways. Half of the wolves went with Charles and the other half stayed with you. The wolves seemed to share the pain that you and Charles felt, you could see it on their faces, in the way they walked. This couldn't be good for any of you.

-----

Finally it all came to an end. The best way you could explain it was that the gang imploded in on itself, sparing only a few of its members. It was painful to say the least. Yes, you already knew that it was going to end this way but that didn't stop it from hurting when it all became so real. Admittedly, it wasn't the most pain you had felt during your time in the gang. You had lost so many people that you cared about, that you considered close friends.

Sean, Kieran, Hosea, Lenny, Molly, Susan. After that it was clear that the gang didn't exist anymore, there was nothing to lose anymore. Still, you stayed and fought by Arthur's side, fought for the right side. And then it was all over. It just ended. You hadn't been with Arthur went he went, when he took his last breath, and you regretted that. However, you did get to say your goodbyes before hand, something in your gut told you that it would be the last time you saw him.