Arthur Morgan: The Right Thing

Arthur Morgan & Infant Female Reader

Summary: Arthur runs into some O'Driscolls and finds the only person who managed to survive them. What else was he meant to do? Abandon them? No, he just couldn't do that.

WARNING: I wrote this on my phone so it might be a little messy XD

Word Count: 1800

Arthur was riding back towards the camp when he started to hear shouting and what sounded like a baby crying. He instantly spurred his horse on, speeding up and hurrying toward the source of the sound.

He brought his horse to a halt when the crime scene came into sight. It was a group of O'Driscolls, robbing a stagecoach by the look of it. The driver had already been shot dead and Arthur couldn't see anyone other than the members of the rival gang.

Arthur upholstered his gun and shot one of the O'Driscolls. He could still hear crying and he wasn't going to let the O'Driscolls continue with whatever they were doing.

Catching the other gang off guard gave Arthur an advantage, letting him get a few shots in before they could turn around and even see who was shooting at them. It was pretty easy for Arthur to finish dealing with the small group of O'Driscolls and once they were all out of the game, he dismounted his horse.

Arthur walked around the stagecoach, pausing for a moment when he saw a woman laying on the floor, blood soaking through the material of her blouse. He knelt down beside her, glancing at her bullet wound, before checking for her pulse. Even if she was alive, there wouldn't be much he could do.

"Shit" Arthur sighed, he was too late. If only he had been riding nearby just a little earlier.

Arthur turned his attention back to the sound of the crying, it had to be a baby or a young child just from the sound of the wailing. Whoever it was, it was coming from inside the stagecoach.

Standing from the body, Arthur walked over to the stagecoach and pulled the door open. His chest ached at the sight of an infant bundled up in their blankets, your face red and tears streaming down your face.

Arthur carefully scooped you up into his arms, holding you against his chest in an attempt to comfort you. He tried to shush you and soothe you as he stepped away from the stagecoach. He looked around as he cradled you, making sure there was nobody else around.

"Alright, I've got you" Arthur spoke softly to you, checking that you were alright other than the crying.

What was he supposed to do? His good conscience wouldn't let him just leave you, a baby, behind. He knew that he would have to take you somewhere, he just didn't know where would be best for you. He already blamed himself for Isaac's death, he wasn't going to ruin another child's life. He had no choice.

Keeping you in his arms, Arthur returned to your mother and crouched down. He carefully removed the delicate chain necklace from her neck. He tucked the piece of jewellery into his pocket before standing again.

You weren't crying as much now, perhaps you were beginning to tire yourself out or perhaps not being alone had offered you some comfort.

Without any other plan or idea of what to do, Arthur returned to his horse. He mounted carefully, continuing to hold you against his chest as he started riding back to the camp. This certainly wasn't the way he expected his day to go.

-----

Arthur's horse rode into the camp and came to a stop at the hitching posts. He carefully dismounted, not wanting to wake you up since you had only just fallen asleep.