Algernon Wasp: Duchesses and other Animals

Algernon Wasp X Female Reader

Summary: Arthur hands a job over to you, leading you to a rather eccentric man who's famous for the hats he makes. The relationship that forms between you both was far from expected.

Word Count: 3100

Arthur was sitting by the campfire, reading over a small slip of paper. What caught your attention was how confused and frustrated he looked.

"What ya reading?" you asked as you stood over him, wondering what was bothering him.

"I'm collecting somethings for some feller I met in Saint Denis. He's...odd but he pays well. I just don't know where to find most of this stuff" Arthur huffed, looking up at you.

"Can I look?" you asked, holding your hand out.

"Sure" he nodded as he handed you the list.

"Fancy handwriting" you commented as you read over it.

"I know right?" Arthur chuckled quietly to himself.

"I think I know where to find this stuff, want me to help you?" you offered, turning your attention back to him.

"You know what you're doing better than me, you probably deserve the reward more. You can have the job if you want it" Arthur shook his head, offering you the job.

"Sure, thanks Arthur" you smiled, reading over the list again.

"I think he put his address on the bottom of the list, that's where you can find him" Arthur gestured vaguely toward the slip of paper.

"Sounds good, thanks again" you nodded at him as you pocketed the list.

"No problem" Arthur nodded back at you, smiling slightly.

You collected your things before mounting your horse and heading out of the camp, starting work on finding the items on the list.

-----

You walked up to the little building in Saint Denis, the one that matched the address on the list that Arthur gave you. You walked through the double doors and past the various flowers and plants, the whole place reminded you a little of a greenhouse, it was nice.

"One moment please...this is extremely delicate" the man inside the shop called when he heard somebody enter the room.

"Sure, take your time" you nodded. You curiously watched him work, adding feathers to an intricate hat, but tried not to stare, you didn't want to seem creepy or anything.

"There, all done. Wonderful" he stepped back to admire his handiwork with a proud look on his face before turning to you. "Apologies. Algernon Wasp, purveyor of the exotic and the exquisite. Enchante" the man introduced himself and you took a moment to examine him.

He was finely dressed, clearly taking great care in his appearance, with dark combed hair and a thin moustache. His clothes were neat, more like pristine, and he wore a monocle. Admittedly you couldn't recall meeting a man quite like him and he had only spoke a few sentences to you, you could understand why Arthur would want to give this job to you so quickly. He must have felt uncomfortable to some extent, them being so different and all.

"How can I help you? May I interest you in a hat, perhaps?" Algernon asked, walking towards you.

"Ah, perhaps not" you declined politely as you looked at his collection of hats, not really your style. You almost laughed at the thought of him offering Arthur the same thing, oh you would love to see Arthur in one of these hats.