Kieran Duffy: Kindness Part 2

Kieran Duffy X Female Reader

Summary: you take Kieran into town to get him cleaned up, just like you promised.

Word Count: 2600

Kieran was over with the horses yet again, staying away from the rest of the gang. It was quiet here, away from the comments and glances, away from that hateful nickname. The only person he wanted around was you but he didn't dare approach you, he didn't want to push the extent of your kindness.

"Hey Kieran, you ready to go into town?" your voice broke Kieran out of his thoughts, making him pull away from the horse and turn to you. You couldn't help but chuckle a little at how surprised he looked as he turned to you.

"Oh, uh, yeah...you were serious about that?" Kieran asked, his eyes a little wide still. He had honestly thought that you would have forgotten your offer to go into town with him, he wouldn't have blamed you if you did.

"Of course I was. You still want to go, right?" you asked, tilting your head to the side slightly.

"Yeah! Yeah...I do" Kieran nodded, slowing himself down so that he didn't so too eager.

"Good, saddle up" you smiled at him, purposely not mentioning his first eager 'yeah'. Sometimes you just thought that he was adorable.

The pair of you mounted your horses before riding out of the camp. Kieran followed your direction into town, just enjoying being out of the camp again. The ride was quiet, neither of you speaking but enjoying the comfortable silence.

"We'll go to the barber first, then I'll take you to a hotel so you can bathe" you told him, bringing him out of his thoughts once again, as you rode into the town.

"Thank you...this is all too kind of you" Kieran nodded, unsure of what else to say. It was too simple to say that you were being kind, you were showing him a kindness and care that he hadn't seen in such a long time. He didn't know how to thank you or repay you for it.

"Don't be silly, I really don't mind" you assured him as you both dismounted your horses, hitching them to a hitching post.

Kieran offered you a smile as you patted his shoulder, encouraging him to follow you. He walked with you through the streets of the town, finally coming to a barbershop. The two of you walked inside, instantly getting the attention of the barber since the place was empty beside the three of you.

"Do you think you could tidy up my friend here?" you asked the man, placing your hand on Kieran's elbow as if to present him to the barber.

"Of course" the barber nodded, gesturing towards one of the seats. Kieran walked away from you and took a seat in the chair. "What were you thinking?" he asked as he started untangling Kieran's hair.

"Hmm...I think just a little trim of the hair, don't take off too much of the length though, and a beard trim, just to neaten him up. What do you think, Kieran?" you thought out loud, you quite liked the way he looked and thought that he only needed to neaten up, definitely not shave completely. You looked down at Kieran, waiting for his thoughts.

"Yeah, that sounds good" Kieran nodded in agreement, not wanting to fully shave either. He found that he was glad that you seemed fond of how he current kept his appearance.

You sat at the back of the room, flicking through a newspaper and occasionally glancing up to watch the barber work on Kieran's hair. Finally, the barber finished, letting Kieran stand from the chair and walk over to you. You placed the newspaper down and grinned up at him, you thought that he looked great, much neater now. You paid the barber before returning to Kieran.