Charles Smith: Silence

Charles Smith X Female Reader

Summary: You have never really been good at talking to people, sometimes not even liking to talk to people, it always made you feel a little out of place until you met Charles Smith. You have never trusted somebody like you trusted him.

Word Count: 3000

Joining the Van der Linde gang was difficult in the beginning. You had never been good around people, especially new people, and the camp was full of people. You felt like an outsider and it didn't help that you were always so quiet, not being good at talking to people.

You didn't mind it so much since you considered yourself to be a loner anyway, you liked the peace and quite, which meant that you stayed away from the more active parts of the camp. You weren't rude to people, if they spoke to you, you would speak to them even if you did feel a little awkward and uncomfortable. But, you very really tried to initiate conversation unless you had a reason too.

However, you had started to notice that you weren't the only person who seemed to distance themselves from conversation. You had started to gravitate towards Charles Smith because something about him was just calming. You could sit in a comfortable silence with him, only speaking between yourselves when you wanted too and not feeling pressured to make conversation. That was something that always made you uncomfortable, which is why you liked by around Charles so much.

After being a member of the gang for a little while, you started doing jobs with Charles instead of other members of the gang. Neither of you really addressed it, it just started happening, but you were both happy about it.

Charles wasn't a fan of conversation, and he really didn't like making conversation just for the sake of it, but he enjoyed your company. He noticed that you were quieter and less social than other members of the gang, that's what made him so comfortable around you. And when you did both talk and make conversation, he enjoyed it.

-----

You were sitting with Charles and Lenny, the three of you eating in, what you thought, was a comfortable silence.

"Good food..." Lenny commented, trying to strike up a conversation. You and Charles shared a quick glance, neither of you being much of a fan of small talk.

"Sure" Charles nodded at Lenny before returning his attention to his bowl of stew. You looked over at Lenny, offering him a smile and a nod, not really sure what to say to his comment, you never really considered yourself good at talking to people. Now, you were starting to feel awkward.

"And fine conversation" Lenny chuckled to himself, shaking his head. You just turned your attention back to your food, pretending that you weren't even there. Charles could sense that you were feeling a little uncomfortable but didn't comment on it.

"Why do you feel the need to talk so much?" Charles asked, you knew that he wasn't intending to sound rude, it was a genuine question.

"Why you feel the need for silence?" Lenny asked, chuckling to himself again.

"I guess I prefer people when I don't have to listen to them..." Charles shrugged, making you glance at him for a moment.

"Point taken" Lenny nodded, thankfully not seeming to take Charles' words personally. He really shouldn't take the comment personally, it wasn't about him, just about people in general. You hoped that he understood that.

However, it was moments like these that made you feel like Charles understood you to some extent. Other people thought it was strange that you were so quiet or that you didn't speak but Charles was the same way, he understood it. It made you feel a little more normal.