Arthur Morgan: The Right Thing Part 2

Arthur Morgan & Child Female Reader

Summary: Just some of your life growing up in the camp.

Word Count: 1100

You were on the outskirts of the camp, playing with Sean among the grass. Sean was definitely one of your more fun uncles, he wasn't a responsible babysitter but he knew how to make you laugh. Arthur would never even consider letting you leave the camp with him.

"Sean!" you squealed as he spun you around. Arthur would swear that you were both children, and watching Sean swing you around like that usually gave him anxiety so it was probably a good thing he wasn't around.

Sean placed you back on the ground but, feeling dizzy, you only laughed as you fell backwards, landing in a sitting position in the grass.

"You're not bad, for Arthur's kid. Definitely more fun than him" Sean joked.

"Thanks, uncle Sean" you beamed up at him, making him laugh.

The sound of a horse approaching made Sean look up. "Hey, looks like your pa is back" he told you, looking over to where Arthur was riding into the camp.

Your face lit up as you looked in the same direction, seeing your father dismounting his horse. You scrambled to your feet before running over to him, leaving Sean laughing softly to himself.

"Dad!" you called as you hurried over to him. Arthur instantly smiled when he saw you.

"Hey, Y/n" he greeted as you ran up to him. "You okay?" he asked, holding his hand down to you.

You grinned and wrapped your arms around his, letting him lift you off the ground. He wrapped his other arm around you and moved you to position you on his hip.

"Yep!" you wrapped your arms around his neck so that you didn't fall. "Did you have fun?" you asked.

"Fun?" Arthur asked, raising an eyebrow at you.

"Yeah, on your trip outta camp" you tilted your head to the side.

"Oh yeah, had a lot of fun" Arthur nodded, chuckling to himself.

"Good! Take me with you next time?" you asked, giving him the best puppy-dog eyes you could muster.

"Sure" your father nodded, making you smile. "I've got to talk to Dutch, can you keep Hosea company?" he asked as he walked towards the two men, who were sitting at one of the tables in camp.

"Okay" you nodded, not minding spending time with Hosea. He was practically your grandfather, not that you ever called him that. In the same way Dutch could also be considered your grandfather but even you, a child, knew better than to even suggest that.

"Do you mind?" Arthur asked Hosea, already knowing that he would be happy to help.

"Of course not, son" Hosea nodded, smiling at you.

Arthur placed you down on the ground and you climbed onto the chair beside Hosea, sitting with him as Arthur and Dutch walked away to talk.

"Have you been doing the reading I gave you?" Hosea asked once you were both alone. He had only just started giving you any lessons, you had only just reached a suitable age. And, of course, the lessons were only simple. He would be a good teacher, if you actually listened.

"Yeah" you nodded.

"Has your dad been helping you?" Hosea asked. He knew that Arthur genuinely cared about you learning to read and write but he also knew that you could always get your way with your father.

"Yeah" you nodded again but Hosea noticed you fighting off a little grin.

"Are you telling the truth?" he asked, squinting suspiciously at you.

"Yeah" you nodded.

"I don't believe you. I think you're lying" Hosea hummed, leaning back in his chair.

"I'm not" you assured him but the cheeky grin on your face instantly gave you away.

"Are you sure?" Hosea asked one more time.

"Yep" you smiled at him.

"Hmm...alright, I believe you" Hosea nodded, giving in. He couldn't help but smile fondly as you laughed to yourself, thinking that you had fooled him.

Hosea knew that you weren't biologically related to Arthur but you were still his daughter and you really did reminded Hosea of a younger Arthur sometimes, he wondered if you would be as much trouble as you got older.

-----

Arthur sighed to himself as he sat down at the campfire, looking over to where you were sitting. He smiled to himself as you watched you ramble to Miss Grimshaw as she brushed and tied back your hair.

"Is everything alright, Arthur?" Hosea asked as he sat down beside the younger man. There was nobody else around the campfire so he figured that this would be a good opportunity to talk to him.

"Yeah" Arthur nodded but Hosea wasn't buying it for a second.

"Something's bothering you. What is it?" Hosea asked, having a feeling that it had something to do with you.

"She thinks that I'm her father" Arthur sighed, knowing that he could talk to Hosea about this. He would understand and offer good advice.

"You are" Hosea stated simply.

"No I'm not. I don't even know who her father is" Arthur shook his head. He truly did see you as his daughter, you were his daughter, just not by blood. Arthur knew that family was more than who you were biologically related too, John was his brother without sharing biological parents. And, even though he would never say it out loud, in many ways Hosea and Dutch has acted like fathers towards him and John.

"You didn't have to take her in, you could have left her out there but you didn't. You made her your responsibility, raised her and loved her even though you didn't have too. You might not be her father by blood but you are her dad" Hosea assured the younger man, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I know...but should I tell her? What if she finds out?" Arthur asked. Hosea just nodded, so that was what he was really worried about. He was worried that you wouldn't consider him to be your father when you found out the truth.

"One day she might start asking questions, maybe start wondering who her mother was, and you'll have to answer those questions. But that time isn't yet, she's still so young and she won't understand but she will, when the time is right" Hosea told him. He knew that you would probably start asking questions one day, even if it was just asking about your mother since you never met her, but he knew that Arthur would be able to handle it when the time comes.

"Thanks Hosea" Arthur smiled, feeling a little reassured. Hosea was probably right, you would understand when the time came.

"Now stop worrying. She loves you and always will, you never have to worry about that" Hosea patted his shoulder before dropping his hand back to his side.

"Hi uncle Hosea" you smiled brightly as you appeared in front of the two men.

"Hello Y/n" Hosea returned your smile.

"Dad...can we go outta camp today?" you asked, since he had promised you that he would take you out next time he left.

"Of course, sweetheart. Come on" Arthur smiled as he stood up.

He and Hosea nodded at each other before Arthur picked you up, making you laugh as he walked over to the horses. Lately, your laugh was all Arthur needed to hear to make him smile.

Requests?

Part 3 to this coming soon!