Sean MacGuire: Never Better

Sean MacGuire X Female Reader

Summary: Sean returns to the camp but something isn't right.

Word Count: 1400

You have been pacing the camp since a Arthur told you that they where going to go and find Sean. Ever since their horses rode away, you had been restless. You had been worried sick about Sean, wondering if he was even alive. You were beyond thankful when Trelawny came around and told you all that he found out where Sean was being held. You would do anything to get him back. You just hoped that they would bring him back safely.

After, what felt like, an eternity you heard horses riding back into the camp and your head instantly perked up. Your gaze quickly settled on the familiar head of red hair and a smile broke out on our face.

"Sean! Oh thank god" you ran over to him as he jumped down from the back of Javier's horse.

"Y/n! My love! Have you missed me?" Sean asked, a bright smile on his face, as he pulled you straight into a tight embrace.

"Of course I have, I'm so glad you're alright" you sighed in relief, resting your head against his chest.

"Alright? Nothing can kill Sean MacGuire!" Sean assured your as he gently took hold of your arms and held you in front of him.

"Of course not" you chuckled. You would always be amazed by Sean's ability to bounce back from things like this, it's like nothing could wipe that smile off of his face. You were just happy that he was alright, back in one piece.

Sean gave you a quick kiss before guiding you back into the camp. The gang had thrown a party for Sean's return, Dutch said it was a cause for celebration and you agreed. Sean had spent the first hour with you, sharking a drink and pressing kisses to your face as you laughed at him.

But then he just kept drinking and drinking and drinking, you didn't like it. Sure, sometimes Sean would drink a lot, get a little carried away when he was in a good mood, but this was different. Something wasn't right.

You tried to ignore it, you blamed it on him just being happy to be back and safe. He was celebrating. He just got a little carried away, a little overexcited. Yeah, you were sure that was it.

Eventually Sean passed out, fully dressed and on top of sheets, and didn't wake up the next day until noon. You assumed things would go back to normal then but he was only acting stranger.

Of course he was hungover but there was something else. You shook your head, telling yourself it was fine. It was just the hangover, he would be fine.

It was the next day that you knew something was wrong and you just couldn't stop ignoring it. You had approached him from behind, not even thinking about it, and placed a hand on his shoulder. He flinched, actually flinched, before turning to you and relaxing when he saw your face.

He tried to cover it up, smiling brightly and throwing his arm around your shoulders, but you weren't fooled. Something was wrong, you were positive about that now.

You didn't feel like beating around the bush when it came to Sean's well being so you confronted him about it.

"Hey, Sean...are you alright?" you asked as you sat down beside him, managing to catch him on his own. You knew that he wouldn't admit that something was wrong in front of the others

"Of course I am. Never better! I'm back with these lot and I've got you, what else could I ask for?" Sean asked as he wrapped his arm around around your shoulders, pulling you into him.

"That's sweet but seriously, are you really alright?" you asked again, resting your head on his shoulder but tilting your chin up to look at his face. Sean didn't answer but you saw his smile falter. "You know that you can talk to me, right? About anything, anything at all. If something is wrong, you can tell me. I could try to help you" you reminded him, taking one of his hands in yours.

"Really, Y/n, I'm fine!" Sean assured you, smiling brightly as he kissed the top of your head. You just smiled and nodded, still not believing him...

-----

It was a few night later when you got Sean to talk to you, he had continued to tell you that he was fine whenever you asked until this night.

You woke up to the sound of sheets moving. Usually you woke up with Sean's entire body either on top of you or wrapped around you, this time you didn't and you missed it. You had just gotten used to it again.

You sat up, rubbing your eyes as you adjusted to the dim light inside the tent. You frowned when you saw Sean sitting on the edge of the cot with his back to you, his head in his hands.

"Sean?" you asked quietly, not trying to startle him.

"Y-Y/n, I uh...I'm fine, go back to sleep" Sean told you but you heard him sniffle as he wiped his eyes.

"Are you crying?" you instantly felt awake now. "Sean, what's wrong?" you asked as you moved to sit beside him, taking his hands in yours.

"It's nothing...really" Sean shook his head, looking away from you.

"I know when you're lying to me. You've been difference since you came back. What's wrong?" you stroked your thumb over the back of his hand.

"Nothing..." he whispered.

"Hey...you've been through a lot, they were going to kill you or lock you up for life. Either way, you must've been scared...and it's alright to have been scared" you assured him. "Now, what's wrong?" you asked again.

"...nightmare" Sean sighed, still not looking at you.

"What about?" you asked gently.

Sean sighed before dropping his gaze to his lap. "That I was back there, hanging by my feet, but this time Arthur and the others didn't show up. I was running my mouth...they had enough and...and just killed me" he recalled quietly.

"Sean" your voice was soft and gentle as you released his hands, moving your over to cup his face and make him look at you. "You're home now, you're safe and they're dead. They won't hurt you again" you promised him.

"I know..." Sean nodded, placing his hands on top of yours. "When I was out there...all I could think about was you. Wondering what you were doing, if you were thinking about me, if you were okay, if you were safe. I missed you so much and then they started threatening to kill me...I couldn't stand the thought of leaving you, not being able to see you one last time...not being able to tell you that I loved you" he told you, bringing his forehead to rest against yours.

"You are just...the sweetest man" you complimented, making him smile. "I can't imagine how you must've felt, all alone out there. But you're back now, you're here with me" you reminded him, brushing your thumbs over his cheeks.

"That's the only place I ever want to be" Sean sighed as he buried his face in the crook of your neck, wrapping his arms around your waist.

"I love you so much. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I missed you too, you were the only thing I thought about. I was so scared that you weren't going to come back, that I would never see you again" you confessed, running your fingers through his hair.

"I was scared of the same thing" Sean admitted as he pulled away from you slightly. "I love you too" he whispered and then his lips where on yours. You instantly kissed him back. He held you close to him and in that moment he knew that he would be perfectly fine because he had you.

"Come on, let's go back to sleep. You need some good rest" you suggested as you pulled away from the kiss.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea" Sean nodded, an honest smile on his face. He was already looking more like your Sean.

You both lay back down on the cot, pulling the sheeting over yourselves. Sean lay with his head on your chest as you ran your fingers through his hair. It was a comforting gesture that had him falling asleep in seconds.

You were determined to help Sean through this, you wouldn't stop until he was back to his old self but you had a feeling that he would be better in no time. A small smile played on your lips when you heard a soft snore come from him, and you were falling asleep before you knew it.

Requests?