The Van der Linde Gang: Pride and Joy

Dutch Van der Linde & Daughter Reader
The Van der Linde Gang & Teenage Female Reader

Summary: Your father and other members of the camp have started seeing a change in you, something that's worrying them. When your behaviour becomes a little too suspicious, they set out to find out what's going on.

Word Count: 3200

Being the daughter of Dutch Van der Linde certainly had it's perks within the gang. You could barely do any wrong in your father's eyes and, if he had it his way, you wouldn't have to work a day in your life. You truly were Dutch's pride and joy.

Arthur and John had been with your father and Hosea the longest and were both like older brothers to you. You eventually wanted to start running jobs with them, wanted your father to trust you like he trusted them. It was Hosea to convinced Dutch to let you run a simple job with them for the first time.

Dutch was always reluctant to let you get yourself into dangerous situations so he wasn't a fan of you running jobs but he slowly began to loosen up. Eventually, you were allowed to go on job fairly regularly.

You knew exactly when things started to change. You had been running jobs for a while but this was the first one to go seriously wrong, resulting in a shootout with the local law enforcement. Of course it was a little scary but when you realised that the gang had won and escaped, you felt a thrill. It was exciting, exhilarating.

After that was when things began to get worse. You never purposely made a job go wrong, of course you didn't, but the more dangerous the job was or the more risky the task was, the more exciting it seemed to you.

-----

Dutch and Hosea looked up from their conversation when they heard two horses riding up to the camp. The two horse came to a halt in front of the hitching posts before you and Sean dismounted, a grin on both of your faces. Dutch nodded at Hosea before the two of them stood up and walked towards you both.

"How did the job go?" Hosea asked once they got closer to you.

"Just fine, got what we went for" you assured them as you waved the stack of cash at them.

"And everything went well?" Dutch asked as he took the cash from you.

"We had a mishap or two but nothing we couldn't handle, right Sean?" you looked to Sean for him to back up your story.

"Right! You should've seen her out there, a real gunslinger!" Sean gushed as he threw his arm over your shoulders, making you laugh.

"That so?" Dutch cocked an eyebrow at you both, not sounding very convinced. "What did we say about keeping a low profile?" he asked with a slight sigh.

"I know, I know, but we handled it and it turned out fine. Relax, we got the cash and had some fun while doing it" you reassured your father, knowing that he would worry about you and you weren't in the mood for a lecture.

The two older men shared a concerned look as you and Sean walked away to get yourselves some drinks.

Dutch and Hosea had noticed the change in you, Dutch was your father and Hosea had been like a father to you for most of your life, of course they noticed. At first they weren't too concerned because you, just like Sean now and Arthur and John when they were younger, are a young aspiring outlaw. The lifestyle is exciting and you wanted to experience it. They understood that but it was still concerning.

Perhaps Dutch wouldn't have worried so much if you didn't remind him so much of himself when he was younger, before he met Hosea. He had been like you once, young and excited by freedom and the life of an outlaw. It was Hosea who had kept him levelheaded, who still does, and he worried that you could go down the path that Hosea turned him away from.