John Marston: Acting

John Marston X Female Reader

Summary: You and John go undercover as a married couple, John doesn't like that people are looking at his wife.

Word Count: 2100

The carriage behind you rode away, leaving you and John standing in front of the expensive looking hotel. Both feeling a little uncomfortable and out of place.

Dutch had sent you both on this job, which you were honestly surprised by. You loved working with John, you worked well together, but Dutch usually sent Arthur on these sort of jobs. But Arthur was busy, so here you both were. You had both accepted the job without argument, only then for Dutch to sprinkle in the fact that you would have to pretend to to be a married couple. Why? Because, apparently, when he acquired the invitations to the event they were for a married couple. Plus, it was a good cover so it made sense in a way.

"This is ridiculous" you huffed as you straightened out your dress.

"Is it really that bad pretending to be married to me?" John mumbled, busying his attention on flattening out his suit jacket.

"That's not what I meant" you frowned, certainly having not meant that pretending to be John's wife was so horrid. "I just mean the dress and everything. It's not exactly...me" you sighed, gesturing down at the article of clothing. A fairly fine dress that Dutch had shoved into your arms, telling you that it would help you fit in.

"You look great,  you have nothing to worry about" John complimented, honestly if not a little awkwardly. "This collar might choke me out though" he complained as he hooked a finger around the collar of his shirt.

"Kinky" you chuckled, earning a disapproving look from John as he tugged on the collar. "You look good too. You clean up real nice" you complimented as you moved to stand in front of him, batting his hands away and straightening his collar for him. You made sure to loosen it a little bit so it would be more comfortable for him.

"Thanks" John gave you a small smile.

"You're welcome...husband" you grinned up at him. John's face heated up slightly, making him look away from you, but you thought nothing of it.

"C'mon, let's get this over with...wife" John smiled to himself, making you smile as well.

John held his arm out to you and you took it without hesitation. The two of you walked up to the front door and approached the guard, John handing him the invitations. The guard examined them before nodding and letting you through.

"To the bar, my love?" you asked as you stepped into the large hall. Getting a drink at the bar would put you both at a decent vantage point and give you the opportunity to look around the room without looking suspicious.

"Sure" John nodded and cleared his throat. You seemed to be having too much fun with this playing married thing and John wasn't sure how long he could keep it up. Maybe he should just play along? What could the harm be?

The two of you walked up to the bar but as you were walking through the room, John became painfully aware of the other men who shot glances your way. Especially a particularly loud group of men that weren't shy about eyeing you up and down. It was a subconscious action but John pulled you closer to him in a protective manner.

Once at the bar, John ordered and paid for your drinks as you both sat down.

"Thank you" you smiled as you took the drink form him. "So, what do you think?" you asked, glancing around the room.

"Any of these men could be part of the game" John sighed, wishing that Dutch had had more information on the lead.

"True...but I think your best bet is that guy" you subtly nodded towards a man dressed in fine clothing with a drink in his hand, who was laughing obnoxiously with some other men. John recognised them as the men who had been watching you when you entered.